Chapter 2- Meet and Greet

When we had crossed some distance from the villagers, the guy driving the jeep finally asked, "Where are you from?"

I replied in a monosyllable. "Delhi."

He shook his head at that and continued driving.

He drove until the sun started setting, and we stopped in front of a small dhaba- a restaurant where truck drivers and passers-by stop for some snack.

Rohini and I'd not uttered a single word till then.

"We're eating here." He spoke finally and killed the engine.

I looked around to see the state of the place. It seemed to be small and only a few people were scattered hither and thither.

Seems safe, I thought.

I turned around to see whether Rohini was getting out or no. But what I saw amazed me.

She was sleeping soundly in the back seat.

How could she seem relaxed when her life was in danger? And the entire population of her village was behind us? I'd no idea.

Although when I looked at her, my heart somehow forgot all about today.
I started to get out to wake her up, but a hand on my shoulder stopped me in my tracks.

"Everything is going to be alright," said the driver when I turned around.
I looked at him and replied, "Thank you..."

My voice faltered when I realized I didn't even know his name.

Reading the confusion on my face, he replied. "Aamir," with a small smile.

"Thank you so much, Aamir. I'm so grateful for your help. It takes efforts to be selfless and save lives that are in danger,"

"Ah! Believe me, it's not selfless, and you're most welcome," he replied with a wink.

I smiled and made a move to go again, but Aamir spoke once more.

"You know, when we make introductions, one reciprocates the same by telling their name."

I smiled, turned around, extended my hand and said, "Aditya Sinha,"

He then shook my hand in a firm grip and replied cheerily. It actually made him a likable person in my eyes.

"Nice to meet you, Aditya Sinha. Hope you go to your home alive with your girlfriend."

"Thank you yet again for your kind words, Aamir." I smiled back and finally jumped out of the jeep to wake Rohini up.

"Rohini," I whispered. But she was fast asleep and my voice dissolved in thin air.

God, girls do sleep tight.

"Rohini," I called out to her again gently and tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear, which was shamelessly resting on her face.

She looked so adorable in her sleeping state I couldn't help myself and kissed her forehead.

Sensing my lips, she opened her sleepy eyes and smiled.

"Wake up, sleepy head. We are going to have our dinner here." I waved my hand towards the same dhaba.

"Oh, what time is it?" she asked while yawning.

"Almost eight."

"Oh, wow! I've been sleeping the entire way? I needed rest after so much running. My limbs are aching." She stated casually while stretching her arms in front of her.

"You know, you were running for your life now, do you?" I frowned at her carefree state.

"Yes, I'm well aware of that," she said in such a calm tone that for a moment too long, I gawked at her in disbelief.

"Then, how can you be so calm? So many people are behind you, and you are relaxed as if we are on a vacation,"

She smiled and shrugged.

"I'm scared to death for you here! Those people are running behind you to teach you a lesson. You're acting as if all that hiding and running never even happened."

By this time panic was settling in as today's event replayed in my head and made me shudder.

She shushed me and leaned against my chest. My arms wrapped around her on their own accord.

After a beat, she spoke, "You want to know the reason why I am not scared?"

I nodded.

"You are the reason for it," she looked at me with utmost sincerity.

"How?" I asked with incredulity.

"Because, I love you and when you love someone, there's no place for fear."

These were just simple words, but the meaning struck me deep. It went straight to my heart.

I looked at her with all the love my heart possessed for her.

My arms tightened around her, and I bought her close to me.

I was so engrossed in embracing her that I'd long forgotten about the same intimidating guy who had followed us on his bike until his voice interrupted us once again.

"Keep on doing that, and the whole village will be here to encounter it. I'm sure it'll be the last time you see her."

I let go of her enough to turn in his direction.

What was his problem?

"We'll be on our way in about thirty minutes. Carry on with your cheesy love after we have food in our bellies."

Before I could say anything to him, he was out of my sight in an instant. I sighed out of annoyance, and put my head on Rohini's shoulder.

"Aditya," she said my name gently.

It prompted me to look at her bedazzling brown eyes that were shining with love.

"Rohini," I replied.

"Thank you,"

"For what?"

"For coming here..." she paused as if struggling to say more, but completed her sentence with, "And just for being here,"

"There is no place I'd rather be," I replied with utter sincerity.

"Yeah?" she asked.

A hint of doubt was present at the way she spoke and her eyebrows shot upwards.

"Yeah. I wouldn't have been able to live had I'd not come here," I assured her once again. "Now, let's go and have our dinner. God knows what he'll say if we don't follow him right up,"

Rohini nodded and I got up to head towards the restaurant while talking, "I swear, I've no idea why you trusted them though,"

"Just trust me." She stated without giving me a proper answer, and we headed to have our dinner.

~*~