Chapter Forty-One

The sun was bright, the skies were clear. Sounds of birds chirping happily, rang in the skies. The flowers were bright and could make anyone feel happy. It seemed like a happy day, but it was far from it. Today is the day of my mother's funeral, and it's the worst day I've ever experienced. It seems like only a month ago, I can remember my mom young again, cheering me on for going into the army, but now, she's laying in in the casket in front of me. 

We all prepare ourselves to lose our parents. But this, was a very unfair way for me to lose mine. I lost nearly seventy years with her, years that I could never get back. I can still remember the day I left for the army. Her sweet, soft voice wishing me luck and praying that I'll come back home safe and sound. I told her she had nothing to worry about, that I'll be back before she knew it. But boy, was I wrong. 

* * * *

September 15th, 1939

My mother and I were trying to push past the crowds of couples and families gathered around the train station. It's been a few days since the war started, and for the first time in my family, I'll be the one going to war. Now, it's not very often that you hear a woman say they want to fight in a war, but I do. I'm not like most women. 

I guess a lot of it comes from my dad. He was in the army when I was young, and I've always found that interesting. He was a Colonel and he was my hero growing up. I wanted to be like him. I told my mom about my dreams, but she wouldn't let me go into the army until I got a good education. But luck struck when news of World War II starting, and I knew I had to join. 

"There's your train, Danielle," my mom called as she pointed to the train ahead of us. I smiled brightly as I gazed at it. I've been working up for this moment for a long time. And the fact that it's finally here, makes me happy beyond belief. I set my suitcase down beside me and looked at my mother. "Are you sure you want to do this?" She asked. I smiled slightly and nodded my head. 

"Yes, I am. There's nothing else I'm more sure about." I assured her. She let out a worried sigh and brought her hand to my cheek. 

"I'm just worried about you," she said softly. "This is very dangerous, and I don't want to lose you the way I lost your father." I places my hand over hers. 

"You won't, I promise. The whole time I'm there, I'll think about you. It'll help me push myself through everything, reminding me why I need to make it through." I told her. I could see her eyes becoming glossy with tears. Nothing pain me more than seeing my mother sad. I brought her into a hug and held her tightly. "Don't worry about me." I said softly.

"How can I not?" I heard her sniffle lightly. "I don't know what I'd do without you," her voice was breaking through the sniffles. I pulled back and looked into her eyes. She now had a fear tears running down her cheeks. I wiped a few away and gave her a small smile. 

"Don't think that way, mom. I'm sure you will manage just fine while I'm gone." I tried to assure her. She shook her head. 

"Losing your father was hard enough on me, I-"

"You won't lose me. I won't let that happen. I will comeback home. It's a promise I intend to keep." I told her. She smiled weakly and hugged me tightly again. It took all of me not to burst out into tears. I wasn't sure of how things will turn out or how long this would take. I don't want my mother going through another loss again. I can't-I won't let that happen.

* * * *

Present Day

My heart ached, I felt a knot build in my throat, and my cheeks were wet with tears. I had Steve beside me, holding me close to him as we looked at my parents' tombstones. I haven't visited my father's grave in decades, but it still looked the same. It looked a little worn from the years it's been here, but it was still the same to me. 

"I kept my promise, dad," I took a deep breath before continuing. "I came back home, just like I said I would." Steve rubbed my shoulder to comfort me. "I know I'm a bit late, but I wanted to tell you we did it. We won the war." I let a light sob. "I'm sure you're proud of me. I even made a difference during the war. I became one of the world's first super heroes." I felt a few tears fall.

"I wanted to tell you that...that I'm getting married," I looked at Steve and smiled weakly. "He uh, he proposed to me in Brooklyn Bridge Park, where you proposed to mom. He even did it with the ring you gave her." Steve looked at me and smiled, moving a piece of hair behind my ear. I let out a light breath and looked back at the tombstone. "I thought you'd like to meet him." I finished. 

"Hello, Mr. Thomson. I want you to know that I love Danielle with all my heart. I'm sure she'd love it if we met in a different way," he cleared his throat. I could tell he was nervous about this. "I just want you to know, that I will always be there for her. I'll protect her to my last breath if I have to." I smiled slightly at his words. Steve looked at me and smiled slightly. 

"I'm sure he'd be proud to have you as a son-in-law." I told him. He planted a light kiss on my forehead. I looked back at the tombstones and rested my head on Steve's chest. I kept my promises.