Chapter Thirty-Two

I felt a pounding in my head and the ringing of an alarm echoed through the room. I looked around the lab to see a giant hole in the ground and realized we were missing half the team. The only ones remaining in the lab were Steve, Tony, and I. Tony exchanged a shocked expression with Steve and I. 

"Put on the suit," I suggested as I tried to stand up.

"Yeah," Tony said as he got up. Steve helped me up and the three of us began running through the halls. As we ran through the halls, Director Fury told us that we needed to get engine three up and running or else the helicarrier would fall. As we turned another corner, Tony began walking in a different direction. "Engine three. I'll meet you two there," he called to us.

Steve and I nodded and rushed to engine three. We eventually came to a door and it took the two of us to push it open. We helped a couple of men out of the turbine and we took in the sight of the damage. It's a miracle that the turbine is still intact. "Stark, we're here," Steve said into the headset.

"Good," I saw Tony fly to the engine in his Iron Man suit. "Let's see what we've got," he said as he examined some wires for the turbine. He then looked at us. "I need you two to get to that engine control panel and tell me which relays are in overload position," he told us. We nodded our heads and looked for a place to hop onto.

Steve found a way, and started jumping up the remains of the engine and I followed. We looked around until we found the control panel Tony was talking about. I opened the panel and pulled it out, looking at the panel while extremely confused by what powers it.

"What does it look like in there?" Tony said into the headset.

"It seems to run on some form of electricity," I told him. 

"Well, you're not wrong," he replied. He then told us how to fix the relays and after some time, we managed to do it successfully. 

"Okay, the relays are intact. What's our next move?" Steve asked him as he pushed the control panel back inside.

"Even if I clear the rotors, this thing won't re-engage without a jump. I'm going to have to get in there and push." 

"If that thing gets up to speed, you'll get shredded." I told him.

"That stator control unit can reverse the polarity long enough to disengage maglev and that could-" Steve and I cut him off. 

"Speak English!" We both said into our headsets. 

"You see that red lever?" He asked us. We turned our heads to see the lever. "It will slow the rotors down long enough for me to get out. Stand by it, wait for my word." I took a small step back and jumped to the other side to the lever. Steve followed and we stood by the lever, waiting for Tony's signal.

As we were waiting, I saw two men with guns walk into the turbine. I watched as one tried to throw a grenade to the turbine. I then jumped and smacked it away. I landed in front of the man punched him, causing him to fall to the ground. The other man aimed his gun at me, but Steve quickly kicked his gun up, and knocked him to the ground.

I punched my guy in the face, and threw him off the helicarrier. As I turned around, another man started shooting at us and Steve grabbed a gun that was resting on the ground, and threw it at the man, but missed him. "You could've given it to me. I would've shot him," I told him.

"Sorry," he apologized. He pulled me along as he climbed up a ladder to avoid the gunshots that were fired at us. He then picked up another gun and started shooting at the man. The man scurried away, and I noticed a small smirk form on Steve's face. "I may be better at this than you," he bragged. 

"Oh please, you've hit the wall more than the actual man." I told him as I chuckled a little. A man slowly crept us, and started shooting at us causing us to back away, trying our best to dodge bullets. Before I knew it, I had lost my footing and fell off the remaining catwalk. "Steve!" I called to him. I struggled to grab hold of a wire, but luckily, I managed to keep a firm grip.

I was practically holding on for my dear life. The wind crashing into me didn't help any better. This wire was on the verge of coming undone and the only hope I had was Steve being able to pull me to him. "Lieutenant, hit the lever," I heard Tony say into my headset.

"I need a minute here!" I replied to him. Steve was pulling the wire as I tried to climb up it, but the wind made it even more difficult for me to do so. 

"Lever. Now!" Tony repeated. As I came close enough to Steve, I reached my hand out to him and luckily he grabbed it. He pulled me up, which resulted to me falling on top of him. What didn't help with the situation was that another guy came in and started shooting at us. As Steve tried to move me out of harms way, I felt a sharp burning pain in my arm and I yelped in pain. 

"Are you hurt?" Steve asked me. I shook my head, trying to just deal with the pain. He gave me a concern look before getting up and pulling the lever. The man continued to shoot at us, but luckily Tony came in and flew into the man. Steve let out a sigh and looked at me. He noticed how I was holding my arm and he moved my hand away, revealing the gun wound. 

"It's nothing, really." I assured him. 

"Are you hurt anywhere else?" He asked. I shook my head. He deeply sighed and helped me up. Steve was never the one to enjoy seeing me hurt. He was always so caring with me. It was always nice having someone to worry about me the way he does. 

"Agent Coulson is down," I heard Director Fury's voice say into my headset. My eyes slightly widened with shock and I felt a lump form in my throat. "They called it," he added. I looked at Steve and he looked just as shocked as me. I then looked at Tony and he was speechless. He looked more angry and hurt than any of us.