Chapter Twenty-Eight

After picking up Loki, we were now on our way back to the helicarrier. I kept glancing over at Loki, and I couldn't help but wonder about him. He willingly surrendered to us, which is...odd. He's supposed to be some God, and he just, surrendered to us, without a fight? In my years of combat, I've never seen someone give up as easily as him. 

"I don't like it." Steve said as he broke the silence.

"What, Rock of Ages giving up so easily?" Stark said. 

"He has a point. I don't remember it being that easy," I said.

"This guy packs a wallop." Steve added. 

"Still, you two are pretty spry for older people," Stark started. The two of us looked at him as he raised an eyebrow. "What's your thing? Pilates?" He asked. Steve looked at me, slightly confused. 

"What?" He asked. 

"It's like calisthenics. You two might have missed a couple of things, you know, doing time as a Capsicle." I raised an eyebrow. 

"My, someone's obviously been taught their manners," I said, sarcasm clear in my voice. 

"Fury didn't tell us he was calling you in." Steve noted

"Yeah, there's a lot of things Fury doesn't tell you." Stark replied. I nodded my head slightly. 

"I wonder where your personality comes from? Surely not Howard, since he had a bit more respect," I said, slightly agitated by Stark already. Steve lightly grabbed my arm, trying to calm me. Stark slightly raised an eyebrow. 

"Are you two...a thing?" He asked. I looked at Steve and he looked at Stark, staring at him, his eyes were like daggers. Stark chuckled humorlessly. "Understandable. You two did go into the ice together. Bound to be something."

"I haven't even known you for long, and you're already getting on my bad side, Anthony". I said as I put emphasis on his name. Though, everyone calls him Tony, I'd prefer calling him Anthony. It's one way to get under his skin, the same way he's getting under mine at this very moment. Stark was ready to say something, when there was the sound of crackling thunder and I saw a bright light of lightning.

Steve, Stark, and I looked up at the sky, curious about the strange weather. I glanced over at Loki, and he looked somewhat worried. "What's the matter? Are you scared of a little lightning?" I asked him. 

"I'm not overly fond of what follows," he replied. I then looked at Steve, confused and curious by what he meant by that. A few moments later, there was a thud on the jet, causing it to shake. Stark grabbed his helmet while Steve grabbed his shield, and I grabbed my guns. Again, it seems like everyone had great protection, but me. 

I watched as Stark opened the hatch and walked towards down the hatch. "What are you doing?" I asked him. Suddenly, a man wearing strange clothing landing on the hatch and he seemed to be holding a hammer. He easily walked toward Stark. Just as Stark raised his hand to blast him, he was sent back into Steve and I, sending the three of us to the ground. I watched as the man flew out with Loki. 

"And now there's that guy," Stark noted. Steve helped me up and made sure I was okay. 

"Another Asgardian?" Romanoff asked us. 

"That guy's a friendly?" Steve asked Stark. 

"Doesn't matter. If he frees Loki or kills him, the Tesseract's lost." Stark said as he turned to walk to the end of the hatch. 

"Stark, we need a plan of attack!" I told him. 

"I have a plan," he turned to look at us, "attack." He then flew out the jet and I sighed in frustration. Steve then grabbed a parachute and started to put it on. 

"Steve, what are you doing?" I asked him, though I already knew the answer. 

"I'm stopping them," he said as he put on the parachute. 

"I'd sit this one out, Cap." Romanoff said. 

"I don't see how I can," he said as he buckled the clamp on the parachute buckle.

"These guys come from legend. They're basically Gods." Romanoff added. 

"Listen to her, Steve. This isn't our fight." I told him. 

"There's only one God, ma'am," he started, completely ignoring my request, "and I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that." He finished as he grabbed his shield. He then started walking towards the end of the hatch. 

"Steve, listen to me and just-" I stopped as I watched him jump out the jet. Sometimes, his personality can be frustrating, but I can't help but like it. 

"I guess it's out of your hands." Romanoff said. I nodded my head as I walked to the bench. 

"It appears so." I said as I sat down. As we flew, there was a loud ringing sound and I saw a bright, blue light form on the ground. "Well, I know where they are." I told her. Romanoff then guided the jet to the ground and we picked up the man, who happened to be Thor. He somewhat apologized about the fight that had occurred between the three of them during the ride back to the helicarrier.