Chapter Twenty-One

I felt...warm. The coldness of the winter weather, wasn't there. I felt the warmth of a blanket. For some odd reason, I could hear the chirping of birds. My eyes fluttered open, and I was greeted by a bright light. When I could see better, I saw a brunette woman walk into the room, a smile on here face. 

"Good morning, or should I say afternoon." She greeted. I looked around the room as I slowly sat up.

"Where am I?" I asked her. 

"You're in a recovery room in New York city." She told me. I looked at my clothes and realized I wasn't in my uniform. Instead, I was wearing a white shirt with an eagle imprint on my chest. My pants where long and a tan color. I heard the birds chirp again and I couldn't help but become curious. It was winter, and birds weren't around. I looked at the woman and my eyebrow slowly raised. 

"Where am I really?"I asked her. 

"I'm afraid I don't understand." She said, sounding flabbergasted. I stood up and started walking to the window. When I looked outside of it, I noticed that it wasn't the actual outside, but a picture of one. I looked at the woman, who looked a little startled. 

"This is fake...where am I?" I asked again. 

"Lt. Thomson..." The woman said as she started to slowly back away. I started to walk toward her.

"Who are you?" I asked sternly. A few moments later, two men, heavily suited, walked into the room. They started to come toward me, and I charged them through the wall. I noticed that I came into a giant room, but I continued to run out the building. As I ran, I heard the woman's voice echoing through the room. 

"All agents, code 13. All agents, code 13." The voice repeated. As I ran into what looked like a lobby, I was greeted by more men. I then ran out of the building, and as I did so, I ran into the street, nearly about to be hit by a car. I then began running through the streets, and I noticed the environment around me. 

Everything was different. There were screens on the buildings, I saw hundreds, no, thousands of taxis roaming the streets, and the people where wearing different clothing. As I ran, I came to a halt when I was stopped by a couple of black trucks.

"At ease, soldier." A man with an eye patch said, as he walked toward me. "Look, I'm sorry about that, little show back there. But, we thought it would be best to break it to you slowly."

"Break what?" I asked him, confused by what he was referring to.

"You've been asleep, Lieutenant. For almost seventy years." He told me. My mouth slightly dropped and I looked around the city. 

"Steve," I said, in a light whisper. 

"You gonna be okay?" The man asked me. I shook my head. 

"Please tell me you found Steve. Please." I begged him. 

"We haven't found the Captain, yet," he informed me. My heart dropped. I spent seventy years, asleep, and when I wake up, I'm alone. I'm sure everyone has died by now. The Colonel for sure, maybe Howard, Peggy, and...my mother. I didn't want this to happen. I didn't plan for this to happen. 

"You have to find him. I'm sure it won't be that difficult." I told him. He looked around us, noticing the stares of the pedestrians around us. 

"Look, we can talk about this on the way to headquarters." He told me as he walked to a truck. I hesitantly followed him into the truck and it shortly began driving off. "Now, we found you alone, under some ice which may have built over you, over the years." He told me. 

"How could that be? I was in a jet with Steve. You should've found me in the jet." I told him. 

"I don't know what to tell you, but that's where we found you. But enough talk about that, I have much more important matters to discuss with you". He said as he grabbed a briefcase. He handed it to me, and I looked at him slightly confused. "Since you're alive, you need somewhere to be. We managed to get you a place to live at, and some money to help you for a while." He told me. I opened the briefcase, and I saw money and some keys. I saw an I.D. with my name and picture on it. 

"Will you do one thing for me?" I asked the man. 

"What is it?" He asked. 

"Could you look for information on a woman named, Sydney Diane Thomson?" I asked him. He seemed to stiffen a little. 

"I'll see what I can do." He told me. I looked out the darkened window. It was a long-shot to find anything on my mother, but it's worth a try. Even if she is dead...I still would like to know where her grave is. I'd want to be able to see her, at least once after missing nearly seventy years, of her life. Even if it is at a graveyard...I still want to see her. I want to tell her about the army, about how I became America's hope, but most importantly...how I was able to find love.