Chapter Forty-Eight

The jet was completely engulfed in darkness, hidden within the dark clouds. The sun was gone from the sky, the only light was from the illuminated moon that rested in the sky. The engine from the jet was silent, allowing them to travel without being noticed by their enemies. On the inside, the STRIKE team was getting prepared.

It was Danielle's first mission since she came back to SHIELD after being on leave for a few weeks. She was more than thrilled with the idea of getting back out in the field. As much as she loved being a mother, she missed the action that her job brought her. She enjoyed running from bullets and explosions. Steve was thrilled to have her back. After all, the duo was always at their best together than when they were separated. 

Danielle was leaning against the wall of the jet, reading the file about their mission. They had to sneak into some building an require some intelligence on something that SHIELD saw a threat. It was supposed to be a simple task and she didn't mind that. Steve was suited up, his shield rested against his back. All he had to do was put on his helmet and he'd be fully prepared. He glanced over at her, a small smile slowly formed on his lips.

He started towards her, his eyes never leaving her. He was studying her. He noticed the corner of her lip was slightly curled up. He figured something on her mind amused her and curiosity was just itching at him to figure out what it was. Out the corner of her eye, Danielle saw a figure approaching her. When she glanced up from the file, she smiled, realizing it was Steve. 

"Oh, I see you're ready," she noted. Steve nodded slightly. "And I see you're happy about something," he noted. Danielle nodded as she closed the file. "I'm just glad to be back with SHIELD. Back in this jet. Back in the field," she explained. Steve raised a brow slightly, understanding how she felt. He too has had those moments where he's missed the action. 

"Usually most girls prefer to stay out of a fight, while I'm one who enjoys to be a part of one," she chuckled lightly. "Well, I've never been one to stay out of a fight, even if I may not always win it." Steve added. They weren't very different, Steve and Danielle. They were often very similar in personality and how they'd handle things. They were perfect for one another. 

"Ah, like that time back in camp when you defended me when Hodge was being a pain in the rear," she began. It was a few months after they first met when Steve came to the camp to be a part of the program. She was heading to a meeting and encountered Hodge, who seemed to hold a strong grudge against her after she socked him in the face for being disrespectful towards her and Peggy. 

"You were no match for the man. He was twice your size, both in height and muscle, but lacked intelligence," she snorted, "but no matter how many times you got knocked down, or how outnumbered you were, you kept getting back up." Danielle smiled as the memory of that night seemed fresh in her mind. It was almost like it was just yesterday that she saw just how brave and reckless Steve was. He had a heart like no other.

"You know, I think that was the moment I started liking you, Steve," she admitted, slightly blushing. It was an odd subject to talk about, especially at a time like this, but she couldn't help it. It just slipped out in a way. But at the same time, she didn't regret admitting it. 

Out the corner of his eye, Steve noticed a few other agents glancing at the two. Though they were trying their best to keep their conversation quiet, it didn't stop those from looking at the couple. "I'm glad that I met you, Danielle." He lightly whispered to her. She smiled, blushing slightly. "And I'm glad to have met you, Steve." 

******

A/N: Hello, everyone! I hope you liked this chapter and this story. I'm sad to say that this is the end of this story. I really wanted to put The Winter Soldier into this story, but I'm struggling to figure out a way to work around the plot and events.

So, I thought I should at least end the story on a good note. I may end up doing a sequel later, but right now, I need to focus on my other stories I'm currently working on. I've been at this story for over a year and I am so happy about the feedback I've gotten and I'm happy with how big this story has gotten.

I really didn't expect it. I hope you aren't too mad at me for ending it here. Anyway, that's all. Please don't be afraid to check out my other Avengers related stories. Thanks again for all the support!