Chapter Eighteen

We returned to England after capturing Dr. Zola. The whole ride back, Steve was silent. I understood completel, what it's like to lose someone close to them. I had word that he was at the old bar, where we had formed our team. As I made my way to the building, I realized that it was destroyed, but some parts of the structure remained.

As I made my way into the remaining building, I heard a faint sound of a radio. I eventually came to see Steve sitting at a table with a cup of alcohol. My heels made some noise and Steve turned to look at me. He then turned back to the glass, and sniffled as he grabbed the bottle and poured himself a glass. 

"Dr. Erskine said that the serum wouldn't just affect our muscles. It would affect our cells. Create a protective system, of regeneration and healing which means, um...we can't get drunk." He said, sounding disappointed. "Did you know that?" He asked me. I noticed a turned over chair and picked it up and moved it to the table

"Our metabolism burns four times fast than the average person. He thought it could be one of the side affects." I said as I sat in the chair. I noticed the sadness in Steve's face. I know he blames himself for Bucky's death. I placed my hand on Steve's. "It wasn't your fault." I tried to comfort him. 

"Did you read the report?" He asked me. 

"Yes."

"Well, then you know that's not true." I rubbed Steve's hand. 

"I was there, I watched it all. You did everything you could," I comforted him. He didn't make eye contact with me. "Did you believe in Bucky? Did you respect him?" I asked. Steve slowly looked me in the eyes. "Then stop blaming yourself. And that was the dignity of his choice. He damned well thought you were worth it." I told him. He looked at the glass in his hands. 

"I'm going after Schmidt. I'm not going to stop 'til all of Hydra is dead or captured." He stated

"You won't be alone." He looked at me. "I'll be with you, every step of the way, Steve. Forever...and always," I promised him. He nodded his head. 

"Thank you...Danielle," He said in a hushed tone. I slightly smiled. 

* * * *

We returned to the underground office, to discuss the plans to attack Schmidt. By now, everyone had a serious motive to stop him. It was more than just the safety of America. Now...it was personal. For Steve, for the team, and even me. Schmidt took Dr. Erskine away from me, the same way he took Bucky away from Steve. And now, we just want to give him and Hydra what they deserve.

"Johann Schmidt belongs in a bug house. He thinks he's a god and he's willing to blow up half the world to prove it, starting with the U.S.A." Colonel Phillips said. Howard walked toward the table, where we all sat around. 

"Schmidt's working with powers beyond our capabilities. He gets across the Atlantic, he'll wipe out the entire Eastern seaboard in an hour." Howard informed us as he sat down. 

"How much time we got?" Gabe asked. 

"According to my new best friend, in twenty four hours." Colonel Phillips informed us. 

"Where is he now?" I asked. 

"Hydra's last base is here," Colonel Phillips held up a picture and pointed to it. "In the Alps. Five-hundred feet below the surface," he added as he tossed the photos onto the table. 

"So what are we supposed to do?" Dum Dum asked. 

"It's not like we can just knock on the front door." Jim said.

"Why not?" Steve said. Everyone looked at him in silence. "That's exactly what we're going to do."

* * * *

The next day, Steve and I were getting onto his motorcycle. I wasn't fully sure about the plan, no matter how many times we went over it. To be honest, I've never been more worried about a mission than this one. Steve turned to look at me. "Nervous?" He asked. 

"A little." I answered honestly. He handed me his shield and I placed it on my back. 

"That should at least help a little," He said as he started the motorcycle. We then began driving through the forest, and Steve headed towards the Hydra camp. We were shortly joined by a few Hydra soldiers following us. They started firing at us, but luckily, the bullets kept hitting Steve's shield.

"I'm still nervous about this." I told him. I noticed Steve hit a switch and a rope came from the back of the motorcycle and managed to knock two soldiers off their motorcycles. Steve then released fire, and we had a trail of fire behind us as we rode. As we came to two remaining soldiers, we somehow managed to get behind them. 

Steve sped up and as we past the men, I picked the ring off an explosive that was on one of the men's motorcycles and Steve drove away faster. The sound of the explosion echoed through my ears afterward. I noticed we were approaching the came, when I saw a giant tank guarding the barriers. "Danielle, I'm gonna need my shield back," he told me. I grabbed his shield and handed it to him.

I watched as Steve placed it in front of him, and as the tank fired at us, I hid more behind the shield. As I did so, I felt myself grip Steve's waist tighter, holding on hoping to never fall off the motorcycle. Steve swiftly dodged fires from the tank and returned with an explosive, causing the tank to blow up. Steve rode up a ramp, and we landed in the Hydra camp. 

As he drove through the camp, I fired my guns at the men nearby. Once it was time to leave, Steve wrapped an arm around me and pulled me off the motorcycle and I watched as it crashed into a wall, ending with an explosion. At that moment, it was time for a little action. We both fought off many Hydra soldiers, that stood in our way. I managed to get a few one-shot kills in the men, which usually is quite difficult, due to their tough armor. 

As we fought, Steve and I were cornered by two men in heavy armor. They began shooting fire from their guns and created a fire barrier that was in the shape of a diamond. I looked for a possible escape route, but there were none. My back was against Steve's as his was against mine. Shortly, the men stopped firing their guns and a bunch of Hydra soldiers came and aimed their guns at us. We had no other choice, but to surrender.