Chapter Forty

I was taking off my gloves as I felt the jet slowly descend onto the ground. We had finished securing the Prime Minister and took in some of the guys responsible for grabbing him. I was sitting on the bench across from Steve and we exchanged a few looks here and there. We try to refrain from letting our relationship interfere with our work, but sometimes it's challenging in a way. It's not as simple as it was back in the day. 

The hatch opened to reveal Director Fury and a couple of other S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, waiting to take hold of the people we captured. I watched as the S.T.R.I.K.E. team escorted the people off the jet and I shortly followed behind. I made my way through S.H.I.E.L.D. headquaters and came to the room where they held Steve and I's uniforms. Once I had finished getting dressed back into my clothes, Steve had walked into the room. 

"Dressed already?" He asked. I nodded my head. 

"Now I'm waiting on you, old man." I chimed. He smiled slightly as he walked towards me, planting a quick kiss on my forehead. "I assume you'll be ready shortly?" I asked. He nodded his head and I left him to finish getting changed. I stood outside the room and continued to admired the ring on my hand. I really couldn't believe that I'd actually be getting married. It seems like a dream. 

"You love it that much, huh?" I looked beside me to see Steve dressed and ready to go. I smiled slightly and nodded my head. 

"Of course. It's my mother's. And it's a huge honor to receive," my eyes met his, "especially from you." I said. 

He smiled and held my hand in his, "I'm glad you love it," he started to lean in and I did the same, only to be startled by the sound of a voice. 

"Please, no public displays of affection," I jumped slightly and saw Natasha and Clint walking past us. I jokingly glared at her and then looked back at Steve. 

"We should go see Pepper. She said she'd help us out with the wedding stuff." I told him. He nodded his head and we made our way through the halls of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s headquarters.

* * * *

Steve and I shortly arrived at the Stark tower. After the attack, Tony and Pepper have been trying to fix it up, but even better than before. Making it a bit stronger so it won't end up as badly damaged as before. Steve and I walked out the elevator and I saw Pepper walking with a bottle of champagne in her hands. When the elevator door closed, her eyes shot in our direction.

"Oh, there you two are," she said happily. She sat the bottle on the glass coffee table and invited us over to join her. I sat beside Steve and Pepper left us to go grab something. I looked at some of the walls that were still under construction. He definitely got the worst of the alien invasion. I mean, the man is missing a majority of his name on the building and it was pretty beat up by the end. 

"Okay, I got it," Pepper said as she joined my side on the couch. 

"Got what?" I asked. She placed a book onto the glass coffee table and opened it. I saw a ton of venues and possible dates. I smiled slightly as I slowly realized what it was. "You wanted us to pick a venue?" I asked. 

She nodded her head. "It's best to do it ahead of time than later. Besides, it's hard to get the right venue nowadays. People are getting married all the time." She told us as she slid the book in front of us. Steve and I exchanged a look and then we began to slowly flip through the book. "I've already gotten dates of when each venue is being used, so it makes it a bit easier for your choosing." She added. 

We both saw some venues that were great, but the price and the dates were a bit out of our range. There were a few that I liked, but Steve didn't. There were a few that Steve liked, but I didn't. We were almost finished flipping through the book, when I saw a venue that caught my eye. 

"Wait. What about this one?" I pointed to the venue and I instantly fell for it. It was located at a park and as I looked at the photo, I couldn't help but feel something about it. Almost like, I've been there before or something. 

"I don't mind it," Steve then looked at the available dates and placed his finger on August 13th. It was available that day and it was nearly in the middle of August. "I think we could have it here." He said as he looked at me. 

I smiled slightly and nodded my head. "I'm for it." I agreed. Pepper then took the book and wrote down our names and closed the book. 

"Okay, I will give this back to the planner and I'll be expecting to speak to you two later in the week about what you may desire for the wedding and whatnot." She said. 

I chuckled lightly, "are you our wedding planner or something?" I asked. 

She nodded her head, "in a way or so. I'm very good with business and this is probably gonna be a thrill for me." She said. I nodded my head and placed my hands onto my lap. 

"Well, we should get going," I said as I stood up. "I promised my mom I'd see her once we got back from working." I told her. She nodded her head and we said our goodbyes. 

* * * *

Steve and I arrived at Marydale's Institution fairly shortly. As we approached the door, Steve was kind enough to hold it open for me. As we made it to the front desk, I noticed that the woman held a grim look on her face. "What's with the sad look?" I asked her. She opened her mouth but nothing came out. She picked up her phone and lightly spoke into it. 

A few moments later, I saw a doctor walking towards us. The woman then walked to the doctor and whispered something into his ear. I felt myself start to tense up and start to shake with worry. I felt Steve place his hands onto my shoulders, trying to calm me down. The doctor's face fell and he slowly approached us. 

"I'm sorry to tell you, but Sydney Thomson died last night." He said. My heart immediately dropped to my stomach, a lump formed in my throat, and my legs became weak. As my legs gave out, Steve held me tightly in his arms. I couldn't contain myself. The tears spilled as I cried out for my mom. Steve tried to comfort me, but it was no use. The person who meant the very world to me, was now gone.