Chapter Thirty-Four

Steve, Romanoff, Barton, and I were walking to a jet with an open hatch. The plan was to get to the city and stop the invasion and the only way to get there was by jet. I mean, not everyone can be like Tony Stark and build a suit and fly everywhere. As we walked onto the jet, there was a maintenance man. As he heard our footsteps, he turned around and tried to stop us.

"Hey, you guys aren't authorized to be in here," he told us. 

"Son," Steve began. 

"Just don't." I finished. He saw the seriousness on our faces and hesitantly walked off the jet. Barton and Romanoff sat in the pilot and co-pilot seats while Steve and I sat on the bench. I held onto the bench as I felt the jet start to move, indicating our take off. I was reloading my guns as I heard Steve's voice call my name.

"Dani, I've never met a woman who's been so into guns as much as you are." He commented. I chuckled lightly as I shoved some ammo into a gun. 

"You've been around girls your whole life. Especially the ones who are afraid to get their hands dirty. A woman can handle guns," I shrugged my shoulders as a smirk formed on my lips, "but none can handle them as good as me," I bragged. I watched as the corner of his lips slowly crept to a small smile.

"I think Romanoff may be better than you. You've read her file," he said. I shook my head. 

"She's trained everyday for that. I've been frozen since '45 and yet I still can shoot pretty well. I definitely have her beat," I said to him. "No offense, Romanoff."

"None taken. Besides, I kinda like the idea of trying to show up a legend," she said. I could hear the smirk in her voice. I looked at Steve as he placed his shield on the ground beside him. 

"And you shouldn't talk about my shooting skills. All you have is a shield. You can't do much with a shield." 

"In my defense, I can throw it at the enemy and use it as protection. You can't protect yourself with a gun."

I nodded my head. "I shoot the enemy, of course. I can defend myself and get rid of the enemy with it," I said as I smirked slightly. Steve chuckled lightly. 

"Of course you can," he said. 

"Stark, we're on your three, headed northeast," Romanoff told Tony. 

"What? Did you stop for drive-through?" Tony's voice echoed through the jet. "Swing up Park. I'm going to lay them out for you." I placed my mask on and Steve did the same. I watched through the window as I saw aliens fly past us and Romanoff shot them with the turret that was attached to the jet. 

I felt the jet go upward and Steve and I got up. I managed to look out the window and I saw that we were at the Stark tower and I saw both Thor and Loki fighting. "Nat?" Barton called to Romanoff. 

"I see him," she answered calmly. She started firing at him and he simply aimed his scepter at us and then fired it at us. I felt the jet jump and I stumbled back into Steve, who managed to hold me up. A few moment later, I felt the jet start to descend and Steve's grip on me tighten and he grabbed a bar from above us.

I tried to grab the bar with one of my hands and used my other hand to get a tight hold on Steve's uniform. I felt the jet bump into something before feeling it crashed into the ground. Once it settled, Steve quickly grabbed his shield and the four of us ran out of the jet. I saw the destruction of New York. Cars were crashed into each other and the remaining people on the streets were running for their lives.

"We got to get back up there," Steve said as we rushed down a street. We came to a big building that seemed to either be a bank or a train station, when we heard a loud yet low growl. We all looked up and my eyes widened by the sight of a giant mechanical worm-like-thing come from the portal, which Loki was so very kind enough to open.

"Yeah, I'm kind of missing the days when our enemy was Hydra." I said to myself. The creature came close to us, but continued to fly above us. As it did so, I saw things shoot from it and watched as aliens came from it and attached themselves to the building surrounding us and let out a growl.

"Stark, are you seeing this?" Steve said into his headset. "Banner?" He answered into his headset. What would Tony need Bruce for? Is he expecting him to appear? "Well, I think we could use your shooting skill at this moment, Dani." He said. I smiled brightly as I took my guns from my holster. 

"Let the fun begin."