Chapter Five

Now, we were jogging around the camp. To many, this type of thing would faze them, but I've been doing this for three years, so I was barely affected by it. Lt. James was alongside everyone, as she jogged. As I jogged next to Matthews, I noticed someone wasn't here. I started to look around and I couldn't find Steve. When I looked behind us, there I saw Steve Rogers running, wheezing and barely able to jog properly.

"Pick up the pace, sweeties. Let's go, let's go. Double time. Come on, faster, faster. Move, move!" Lt. James yelled to the men. I started to slow my pace, and managed to jog alongside Steve. He looked at me, breathing heavily.

"You don't...need to...slow...down," He said between breathes. I shook my head.

"None of my men get left behind, Rogers. Including you," I said as I gave him a warm smile. He smiled slightly, and tried to run a little faster. "You don't give up, do you?" I asked.

"It's not in my genes. I never give up," he said as he ran a little faster. I chuckled, and caught up to Steve. We managed to catch a steady pace, until Steve couldn't handle it, so we would slow down. I noticed us about to come up to the flag pole, which marked the halfway point.

"Squad halt!" Lt. James yelled. The men started to slow down, and came toward the flagpole, where Lt. James stood. I noticed jeep, which had Peggy sitting in, reading files. I walked over to her, and she looked at me.

"You looked flushed. Tired of playing with the boys?" She asked. I shook my head.

"I'm perfectly fine. Better than I was, when I just sat on my rear all day," I said, chuckling slightly.

"That flag means we're only at the halfway point. First man to bring it to me, get's a ride back with Agent Carter and Lt. Thomson."I heard Lt. James say. I turned my head, and watched as the men struggled to get up the pole. No one has been able to get that flag in seventeen years, or so I heard. I turn back to Peggy.

"You mind giving me a ride? I think I'm done for the day," I asked her. Peggy smiled, and nodded her head. I hopped into the back of the jeep, and turned to watch the men still struggle up the flagpole.

"That's what you got? This army is in trouble. Get up there, Hodge! Come on, get up there!" Lt. James cheered Hodge on. He still angered me over his actions at the wire obstacle. How could a man do something to his own man. That type of man doesn't belong in the army.

"Nobody's got that flag in seventeen years. Come on, come on. Fall in!" Lt. James ordered. I watched as everyone started to jog again, but I noticed Steve staring at the flag pole. "Let's go, get back in formation." Steve didn't do as he said. Instead, he started towards the pole. "Rogers! I said, fall in!" I watched as Steve walked to the flag pole, and pulled a bolt from the bottom part of the flagpole, causing it to fall onto the ground.

My mouth slightly dropped, as I watched him take the flag off the pole, and hand it to Lt. James. "Thank you, sir." He said, still breathing heavily. He walked to the jeep, and hopped in. He looked at me, and I couldn't help but smile and chuckle slightly. The driver began driving away, and I could tell the men where a bit upset over the fact that Steve got the ride, and not one of them. Peggy turned, to face Steve and I.

"You are aware of tonight's meeting about tomorrow, right?" She asked me. The meeting was about the Super Soldier project that Dr. Erskine wants me to be a part of. We're suppose to be going over the location and what to expect. I was ready for it, but I'm not sure if Steve was. I mean, I'm sure he was told something, but possibly not everything.

"Yes, and I will be attending, of course." I told her. She nodded her head, and turned around. Steve looked at me.

"What's the meeting about?" He whispered. I glanced at Peggy, who was into the file she was reading. Then, I looked back at Steve.

"It's about what's happening tomorrow. You should've been informed about it, or a little bit about it," I whispered. He shook his head.

"I was never informed." He told me. I sighed, and nodded my head.

"I'm sure Dr. Erskine will tell you about it sometime today." I assured him. He nodded his head. The ride back the center of the base wasn't very talkative. Mostly because Steve was still a bit winded by the exercise he did today, and I didn't know what to talk about exactly. I'm not usually the talkative type, and I'm a bit shy. I must admit, trying to talk to Steve sometimes, is a bit nerve wreaking for me. I only can talk to him freely as a commander, not as a friend. It's strange, but I don't understand why it happens.