Chapter Seventeen

The team and I were standing on the edge of a mountain, patiently waiting for a train to come. There was word that Schmidt's scientist, Dr. Zola, was on the train. I wouldn't have mind this mission, if it wasn't snowing. It was early January, and the snow on this mountain was worse than the snow in New York.

"Remember when I made you ride the Cyclone on Coney Island?" Bucky asked Steve. 

"Yeah, and I threw up." Steve replied. 

"This isn't pay back, is it?" Bucky asked. 

"Now why would I do that?" Steve asked as he looked at the zip-line. 

"You were right, Dr. Zola is on the train. Hydra dispatcher gave him permission to open up the throttle," Gabe told us. 

"Wherever he's going, they must need him bad," I commented. Steve put on his helmet and I loaded my guns. 

"Let's get going because they're moving like the devil." James told us. Steve hooked himself to the zip-line.

"We only got about a ten second window. You miss that window, we're bugs on a windshield," he explained.

"Mind the gap." James added. 

"Gotta get moving, bugs." Dum Dum told us.

"Maintenant!" Jacques yelled. Steve went down the zip-line, then I followed, with Bucky quickly following after me. We made it onto the train with ease, and walked on the roof until we came to a ladder. Steve, Bucky, and I climbed down it, and made it inside the train. We scanned the room and I happened to see a room that looked like it went to another room. Steve and I began walking into the room, when suddenly, the door closed behind us. 

Steve and I looked at Bucky, who was firing at some Hydra soldiers. I then heard the sound of a gun starting, and turned to see a man in heavy armor, and holding two big Hydra weapons. I shot at the man and pushed Steve out the way just as he fired at us. We both began shooting at the man, but it didn't seem to faze him. He fired at us again and Steve hid me behind his shield. At that moment, I came up with a idea.

"Let me borrow this," I said as I took his shield. I then ran toward the man, jumped and grabbed a piece of equipment above me, causing me to move toward the man, and just as he fired at me, I blocked it with Steve's shield. When I got closer to the man, I kicked him in the chest, knocking him down, and I hit him in the head with the shield. "I can see why you love this thing so much." I said with a small chuckle.

I rushed to Steve, and handed him his shield back. We ran to the door separating us from Bucky. Steve took out his gun and hit the door. He threw Bucky his gun and rushed into the room. He then hit a box forward, which caused the Hydra soldier to reveal himself, letting Bucky shoot him dead. 

"I had him on the ropes," Bucky pointed out. 

"I know you did," Steve replied. Just in that moment, I heard a gun start up and I turned to see the Hydra soldier still alive. "Get down!" Steve yelled as he brought Bucky and I behind him and his shield. Steve and I were blown at the wall, causing us to crash into each other. I was slightly dazed by the explosion. I saw Bucky pick up Steve's shield and start to shoot at the man. The man then fired at Bucky and sent him onto a part of the train that was hanging off, due to the shot. Steve rushed to his shield and threw it at the man, knocking him off his feet.

"Bucky!" Steve yelled as he climbed onto the hanging wall, holding onto the railing. "Hang on," he told his friend as he carefully made his way to him. I struggled to stand up and I walked to the wall. I watched as Steve extended his hand to Bucky.

"Grab my hand," Steve told him. Bucky held his hand out and I watched in horror as the railing broke off the wall. "No!" Steve yelled, as Bucky fell from the train. 

I felt my heart drop at that moment. I've only known Bucky for a few months, but he didn't deserve that. I may be sad over a lost soldier, but Steve is more devastated. I helped him back onto the train, and he remained silent. Bucky wasn't just a friend to Steve. From what I noticed, Bucky was everything to him. And now...he's gone.