Chapter Nineteen

Steve and I were being escorted through the halls of the Hydra base. They had a few Hydra flags on the walls, but it was pretty bare other than that. Also, the soldiers didn't seem very human. They were stiff and seemed lifeless. I couldn't even tell if they were a man or a woman due to their suits and full face masks. 

Steve and I entered a room and I saw Schmidt waiting for us. "Arrogance may not be a uniquely American trait. But I must say, you two do it better than anyone." Schmidt walked closer to us. "But, there are limits to what even you can do, Captain and American Dream. Or did Dr. Erskine tell you otherwise?" Schmidt asked. I smirked slightly. 

"He told us you were insane." I said flatly. 

"Ah...he resented my genius and tried to deny me what was rightfully mine. But he gave you two everything. So, what makes you so special?" Schmidt asked us. Steve and I both smirked. 

"Nothing." We both replied. 

"I'm just a kid from Brooklyn." Steve said. 

"And I'm just a woman." I smirked. Schmidt then punched me in the face and I must admit, it sent me back a little bit. He then hit me again and I was sent to the ground at that moment. I looked up at Schmidt. "Is that all you got?" I challenged. He then kicked me in my stomach, which sent me back a little. I noticed Steve struggle in the grip of the Hydra soldiers and I heard a low chuckle come from Schmidt. 

"Is this affection, I see?" He said as he looked at Steve and then back at me. He had a sinister smile on his face, and then proceeded to hit Steve a few times in the face. I tried to get up to stop him, but I was restrained by two soldiers. He then punched Steve in the stomach, causing him to fall to his knees.

"I can do this all day," Steve said as he breathed heavily. 

"Of course you can, of course," Schmidt then took his gun from his holster and held it towards me. "But unfortunately, I don't think she can." I watched Steve struggle in the soldiers' grip. I looked back at Schmidt nervously. "Also, I'm on a tight schedule." He finished as I heard the gun start up. We then heard something from outside and we all looked at the window. I saw our team going down a zip-line, heading straight for the window.

"So am I." I said, as I pushed the Hydra soldier in front of me, causing Schmidt to shoot him. At that moment, the team crashed into the window and started shooting at the Hydra soldiers. Steve tossed a man away and came to my side. He looked at me worriedly. 

"Are you alright?" He asked as he scanned my face. I nodded my head. 

"I've been through worse." I said as he helped me stand up. 

"Rogers!" I heard James yell. Steve turned face him. "You might need this!" He yelled as he tossed him his shield. James then tossed me a holster with two guns and I placed it on my hips. 

"Thanks!" Steve yelled as we rushed after Schmidt. As we ran down the hallways, we managed to catch up to Schmidt. He fired a Hydra weapon as we chased him. He nearly hit me a few times, if I wasn't good at dodging bullets or beams of light in this case, I would have been done for. Schmidt got further, and Steve thought it was a good idea to throw his shield to stop the closing doors. Luckily, he succeeded.