Chapter Thirteen

Steve and I fought our way to the isolation ward. Steve was pretty good, compared to what he was like before the serum injection. One thing I'm not used to, is the strength we have. I could punch a man, and I could send him flying twenty or thirty feet. I guess the term, 'Super Soldier' really works for us. 

We managed to make it to the isolation ward. We were walking down a long, dirty hallway, searching the rooms we passed, for any sign of Steve's friend, Sergeant Barnes. As I looked ahead of us, I saw a round man, exiting a room.

"Steve," I called to him as I pointed ahead of us. The man looked at us, and started running away. Steve and I ran towards him, but we stopped when he came to the room he had exited from. 

As we walked into the room, and I noticed that it looked like a lab, where they'd experiment on people. Steve and I noticed a man that was strapped to a chair, mumbling to himself. Steve rushed to his side. "Bucky," Steve said as he examined him. "Oh my God," he gasped. He started to unstrap him, and I helped him do so. 

Once we finished, Steve rushed to the man's side. "It's me, it's Steve," Steve quietly spoke to him.

"Steve?" The man was confused by what was happening. It was like he was being brought out of a daze.

"Come on," Steve urged him as he brought the man to his feet. "I thought you were dead."

"I thought you were smaller," Bucky replied. He then looked at me. "Who's this?" He asked as he pointed to me. 

"Danielle," Steve told him. Then, we heard gunshots go off outside. "Come on". Steve said, as he brought Bucky onto his shoulder, and we started walking out the room. 

"What happened to you?" Bucky asked him. 

"I joined the army." Steve explained. We made it out the room, and were walking down the hallway. I was trying to think of a way to get to the men we saved, as I heard Bucky start to talk.

"Did it hurt?" Bucky asked Steve. 

"A little." He replied. 

"Is it permanent?" 

"So far."

"Did you...did that happen to you too?" Bucky asked me.

"Yep, and I'll admit, it hurt more than a little." I said as I gazed over at Steve. We made it back to the factory, and I watched as the floor below us was being blown up. Steve started moving up nearby stairs, and Buck and I followed. As we were running down the walkway, but stopped when someone called our names.

"Captain America and American Dream!" Someone called. The three of us stopped, and turned to see Johann Schmidt. "How exciting. I am a great fan of your films," Schmidt said as he walked toward us. "So, Dr. Erskine managed it after all. Not exactly an improvement, but still. Impressive." Schmidt said as he walked closer. Steve and I walked toward him on the walkway. Then, Steve punch Schmidt in the face, knocking him back slightly.

"You've got no idea." Steve said. Schmidt rubbed his cheek. 

"Haven't I," Schmidt said as he went to punch Steve, but he luckily used his shield to protect him. I noticed a dent in the shape of Schmidt's fist in Steve's shield, so I quickly grabbed my gun, but Schmidt knocked Steve and I down. He walked toward the two of us, and the both of us kicked him away. As we got up, the walkway separated, leaving Steve and I on the opposite side from Schmidt.

"No matter what lies Erskine told you. You see, I was his greatest creation!" Schmidt pointed to himself. Then, he grabbed his face, and started pulling off his skin, which turned out to be a mask. He revealed his face to be the shape of a skull that was bright red. 

"You don't have one of those, do you?" Bucky asked us. 

"Nope". I replied. 

"You two are deluded, Captain and American Dream. You pretend to be a simple soldier. But in reality, you are just afraid to admit, that we have left humanity behind." Schmidt tossed the mask into the fire below us, and started walking toward an elevator. "Men like you. They embrace it proudly. No fear." Schmidt said, as he walked into the elevator. 

"Then how come you're running?" I called out to him. The elevator doors closed, and there was another explosion below us. I looked for a way to escape, but I couldn't find one. 

"Come on," Steve said, as he started pulling me in the directions of the stairs. We ran up the stairs, until there we reached the top. We came to a railing, and I saw a wobbly, metal beam."Let's go. One at a time," Steve said as he pushed Bucky and I toward the beam. Steve helped me get over the railing, and I tried not to look at the explosions below me. 

I slowly, but carefully made my way over the beam. I felt it fall slightly, and I nearly lost my footing. Once I made it over, I saw Bucky trying to do the same. As Bucky slowly made his way across, the beam suddenly fell slightly, causing me to catch my breath. "Come on, Bucky. Almost there," I encouraged him as I held my hand out to him. Then, Bucky quickly ran across the beam, and he jumped toward me, and caught my hand, as the beam fell from under him.

"I gotcha," I assured him as I pulled him up. He grabbed the railing, and hopped over the rail. 

"There's gotta be a rope or something!' Bucky called to Steve. 

"Just go, get out of here!" Steve told us. 

"No, not without you!" I yelled back. I watched as he pushed part of the railing outward. My guess is, that his plan is to jump to Bucky and I. Steve backed away as far as possible, and then charged toward us. He jumped, as he reached the edge of the walkway, and he flew in the air, as an explosion seemed to suck him up completely. Luckily, Steve made it to the walkway, and I rushed to him, and checked to make sure he was fine. 

"Cap, no one gets left behind under my watch," I told him. He nodded his head. 

"I'll remember that, next time," he said as he breathed heavily. Bucky and I helped him up, and we made our way out the factory, or at least what was left of it. Now we just have to walk our way back to the camp.