Chapter Twenty-Six

Steve and I had briefly visited my mom and I told her that we wouldn't be able to visit her for a while. Though I want to help out S.H.I.E.L.D. after they found Steve and I, I didn't want to leave my mom again. I was gone for decades due to the war and leaving again just after just seeing her again, doesn't make anything better. 

Steve and I were riding in a jet, heading to some type of facility. We sat on the bench and I looked at the device Steve was holding. It was showing footage of a man named Dr. Bruce Banner, who apparently attempted at a re-make of the Super Solider serum, but failed horribly. He was turned into a giant green monster, smashing things in his way, or at least that's what the footage had shown. 

"We're about forty minutes away from the base, sir," the pilot told Agent Coulson. He turned from a computer monitor and walked toward Steve and I.

"So, this Dr. Banner was trying to replicate the serum they used on us?" Steve asked Coulson. 

"A lot of people were. You two were the world's first two superheros. Banner thought gamma radiation might hold the key to unlocking Erskine's original formula," Coulson told us. I sighed deeply at the mention of Dr. Erskine. I can still remember the day he asked me to be a part of the project, almost like it was yesterday. 

"Didn't really go his way, did it?" I asked. 

"Not so much. When he's not that thing, though, the guy's like a Stephen Hawking."  Steve and I looked at him, slightly confused. He noticed our looks and remembered the time differences between us and him.

"He's like a, really smart person," he briefly explained. I nodded my head and we looked back at the footage of Banner. "I gotta say, it's an honor to meet you, officially. The two of you." Steve and I smiled. "I've sort of met you. I mean, I watched you while you were sleeping. The both of you," he began to ramble. Steve and I exchanged a look and smiled nervously. We then stood up and walked toward the pilots and looked out the window. "I mean...I was present, while you were unconscious from the ice. You know, it's really just a huge honor, to have the two of you on board this..." Coulson cleared his throat. 

"I hope we're the right people for this job." Steve said.

"Oh, you are. Absolutely. We made some modifications to the uniforms. I had a little design input," Coulson happily added. 

"The uniforms? Aren't the stars and stripes a little...old-fashioned?" I asked him. 

"With everything that's happening, and the things that are about to come to light, people might just need a little old-fashioned." I looked at Steve, a little worried and slightly confused. After a while, we reached the facility, which seemed like a dull, but modern ship. Very similar to what they had in our times. Steve, Coulson, and I walked off the jet while Coulson told some workers to stow our stuff. We were greeted by a red short-haired woman who had a smile on her face. 

"Agent Romanoff, Lt. Thomson and Captain Rogers," Coulson introduced us. 

"Ma'am," Steve greeted. 

"Hello," I greeted. 

"Hi." She said to us. "They need you on the bridge. They're starting the face-trace". Agent Romanoff told Coulson. 

"See you there," Coulson replied as he walked past us. 

"It was quite the buzz around here, finding the two of you in the ice," she said as we started walking. "I thought Coulson was gonna swoon. Did he ask you to sign his Captain America and American Dream trading cards yet?"

"Trading cards?" We asked her. 

"They're vintage. He's very proud." She replied. I saw a man in the distance who looked a little lost by everything. As we came closer to him, I realized it was Dr. Banner. 

"Dr. Banner." Steve called out. Banner looked at us and walked to us, and kindly shook our hands.

"Yeah, hi. They told me you two would be coming." 

"Word is, you can find the cube," I said. He looked around at the people around us. 

"Is that the only word on me?" He asked us. I gave him an assuring smile. 

"Only word we care about." He nodded his head. 

"It must be strange for the two of you, all of this." He motioned to the planes on the deck of the ship. I shook my head. 

"Well, this is actually kind of familiar." I informed him. He nodded his head. 

"Gentlemen and woman, you might want to step inside a minute. It's going to get a little hard to breathe". Romanoff said, slightly smiling. At that moment, I started to hear the whirl of mechanisms, and I heard an agent over the PA, telling the flight crew to secure the deck.

"Is this a submarine?" Steve asked as the three of us walked toward the edge of the ship. 

"Really? They want me in a submerged, pressurized, metal container?" Bruce asked,  sounding slightly dumbfounded. As we reached the edge, we realized then what was really happening. It wasn't a submarine. Oh no. It was a giant helicopter. The wind from the turbines was blowing in our faces, causing my hair to get blown over my shoulders. "No, no, this is much worse". He added sarcastically. 

"We should probably get going," I suggested. They nodded their heads and I tried to fix my hair up a bit as we walked into the building part of what everyone called, 'the helicarrier'. We followed Romanoff to the bridge, where I saw a giant room of people working on computers and walking around the room, doing their jobs. "Wow, this is..." I trailed. 

"Amazing?" Steve guessed. I chuckled and nodded my head. We walked toward a big table and were greeted by Director Fury. 

"Gentlemen and woman," he greeted. Steve walked up to Fury and handed him ten dollars. I smiled to myself and followed Steve onto the bridge. 

"I told you you'd lose." I teased. He smiled slightly and looked down at me and I childishly stuck my tongue out at him. 

"I probably would've won, if you hadn't have jinxed me." He said. I shook my head. 

"There are always new surprises in the world. You just didn't realize that soon enough, and now, you'd ten dollars broker." I teased. We walked to Agent Coulson, who was listing how S.H.I.E.L.D. is locating Loki. Then, Banner left to see the lab and Steve and I remained to keep eyes on the progress of locating Loki. 

"I mean, if it's not too much trouble." Coulson said. He was talking about his Captain America and American Dream trading cards that he wanted us to sign. It was quite nice to have a fan of ours on the same team as us. It made me feel a little special that I had a huge impact on someone's life just by being American Dream.

"No, no. It's fine." Steve assured him. 

"It's a vintage set. It took me a couple of years to collect them all. Near mint. Slight foxing around the edges, but-" Coulson was cut off by Agent Sitwell. 

"We got a hit. A 67% match," he looked back at the computer," wait. Cross match, 79%". He added. Coulson walked to the computer and looked over his shoulder. 

"Location?" He asked. 

"Stuttgart, Germany. 28 Konigstrasse. He's not exactly hiding."

"Lieutenant, Captain." We looked back at Fury. "You're up."  We exchanged looks with each other and nodded our heads. We were shown where our suits were being held, and I was quite proud of the update. The armor was much better compared to what we used to have and the colors were slightly brighter. I noticed a set of guns in the casing and smiled brightly. Steve laughed at me, because of how happy I was over such a small thing. But what can I say? A girl loves her guns.