Chapter Twenty-Five

The sounds of birds chirping rang in my ears. The aroma of cooking bacon and eggs filled my bedroom. The faint sound of old records playing. But, I didn't remember listening to records before going to bed. I slowly felt around the bed, and I couldn't feel anything or anyone. I slowly opened my eyes, only to be blinded by a bright ray of light. I hid my eyes from the light and I looked around the room. Steve was nowhere to be found.

I got out of bed and stumbled to my bedroom door. As I went into the hallway, the aroma of bacon and eggs became stronger. I used the wall as leverage since my legs were weak from just waking up. I came to the end of the hallway, and I could see Steve cooking through the shelf in front of me. I smiled at the sight. He was humming to the music, as he cooked breakfast. It was like a scene from those romance movies I've watched as a young girl.

I walked up to him, making sure not to make a sound, and wrapped my arms around his torso. I laid my head on his back and sighed happily. "Good morning, Captain," I said happily. 

"Same to you, Lieutenant. Did you sleep well?" He asked me. I nodded my head. 

"Better, since I had you there." It was true. It was the best sleep I've ever experienced. Even better than my nearly 70 years hibernation I went through. Being able to fall sleep in the arms of the man I love was better than ever. Steve turned off the stove and turned to face me. His arms were around my waist, and he looked down at me, a smile plastered on his face.

"Then, I guess you'll be having good sleep for a long time," he replied I smiled, as I slightly bit my lip. 

"I hope so, or else I'd be quite disappointed," I playfully teased. He smiled and started to lean down toward me. 

"I wouldn't want that," he said in a hushed voice as his lips neared mine. I shook my head slightly and started to slowly lift myself up toward his lips. 

"No we wouldn't," I softly said as my lips brushed his and slowly met. Our lips moved in unison. He wasn't rough, but soft. He pulled me closer to his body, deepening the kiss. He licked my bottom lip, begging for entrance, which I easily gave. His mouth was warm, the caress of his tongue on mine had sent shivers down my spine. He slowly moved his hands to the back of my neck, as he slowly broke the kiss, leaning his forehead on mine.

"I've been wanting to do that for a long time," he murmured. I bit my lip, as I lightly giggled. My eyes were on his lips. All I wanted was to have them on mine. I slowly leaned closer to him, our lips lightly grazing. As our lips met, there was a loud popping sound, which startled me. I jumped, and looked at the toaster. 

"I guess the toast is done," Steve chuckled nervously. I nodded my head, as my heart continued to race from the sudden sound. He then grabbed two plates and fixed our plates. I had no idea Steve could cook. Everything was nearly as good as my mom's cooking. The beacon wasn't burnt nor was it slightly under-cooked. It was just right. Having a man that can cook is every woman's dream.

* * * *

Steve and I had went to a nearby boxing ring for some practice. Since it's been so long since we did anything active, it seemed like a good idea to do something physical. I was sitting on a bench, taking a sip of water as I watched Steve punch at the punching bag. I noticed how he started hitting it slow, and then he started to speed up his hits. I also noticed him putting more force into his hits.

"Um...Steve?" I called to him. He continued to hit the bag harder and faster and suddenly, he sent the bag flying off the hinges and across the room. He breathed heavily as he looked at the punching bag. "Um, Steve?" He turned and looked at me. "Are you okay"? He nodded his head. 

"Yeah, I'm fine," he said as he walked to pick up another punching bag, but I stopped him. I looked at him, worried. 

"What is it? You can tell me," I urged him. He shook his head. 

"I just forgot about the strength. I haven't worked out in decades," he explained. I had this feeling that there was something more, but shook off the thought. He took the new punching bag and put it on the hinges. He took a deep breath, and began hitting the bag again.

"Trouble sleeping"? I heard a voice call out. Steve stopped, and we both looked over at the doorway to see Director Fury.

"I slept for 70 years, sir. I think I've had my fill," Steve replied as he began punching the bag again. I stood up and walked beside Steve, watching Fury as he walked to us.

"Then you should be out, celebrating, seeing the world. Both of you," he said as he reached my side. Steve stopped and started unwrapping his hands. 

"When we went under, the world was at war. I wake up, they say we won. They didn't say we lost," he said as he finished unwrapping his hand. He then took my hands and begun to unwrap them. I smiled slightly at his kind gesture. 

"We've made some mistake along the way. Some, very recently." Fury told us.

"Are you here with a mission, sir?" I asked.

"I am," he happily replied.

"Trying to get us back in the world?" Steve asked him as he finished unwrapping my hands. 

"Trying to save it." Fury replied as he held out a file. Steve took the file and we both scanned it over. There was a picture of the cube Schmidt had back during the war. 

"Hydra's secret weapon," I quietly said in shock as I sat down on the bench.

"Howard Stark fished that out of the ocean when he was looking for the two of you." I looked up at Fury. Why would Howard keep the cube after all the trouble we went through trying to stop Schmidt from having it? "He thought what we think. The Tesseract could be the key to unlimited sustainable energy. That's something the world sorely needs." He finished. Steve closed the file and held it up to Fury.

"Who took it from you?" He asked Fury.

"He's called Loki," He took the file from Steve, "he's...not from around here. There's a lot we'll have to bring you up to speed on, if you're in. The world has gotten even stranger, that you already know." 

"At this point, I doubt anything would surprise us." Steve said as he stood up. 

"Ten bucks says you're wrong." Fury challenged him. I stood up and walked with Steve as he made his way to the door. "There's a debriefing packet waiting for you, back at your apartment. Is there anything you can tell us about the Tesseract, that we ought to know now?" Fury asked. 

"You should have left it in the ocean." I told Fury as we walked through the door. I looked at Steve, curiously. "So, are we gonna help out?" I asked him. He smirked slightly. 

"Are you?" He asked. I shrugged my shoulders. 

"Only if you do. We're a team." I reminded him. He smiled. 

"I guess we have a cube to look for."