Chapter Thirty-One

I couldn't believe it. S.H.I.E.L.D. has been using the cube to make weapons this entire time. They're just as bad as Hydra when Schmidt attempted to do it. Don't they know that this isn't smart? That this is dangerous? I mean, it turned Schmidt into a power-crazed man, thinking it was the Gods speaking to him. Look where that got him.

Steve and I were walking down the hallway, heading straight for the lab. Steve was carrying a Phase 2 gun in his hand and he seemed more determined to have to talk with Fury. As we entered the lab, I saw Tony and Bruce gathered near Loki's scepter and Fury was standing in front of the table. 

"What is Phase 2?" Tony asked Fury. Steve walked to a nearby table and dropped the gun onto it, causing everyone to direct their attention on us. 

"Phase 2 is S.H.I.E.L.D. uses the cube to make weapons." Steve said. I glanced over at Tony.

"Sorry, computer was movie a little slow for us." I added.

"Rogers, Thomson, we gathered everything related to the Tesseract." Fury walked to the table and glanced at the gun. "This does not mean that we're making-" He was cut off by Tony. 

"I'm sorry, Nick." Tony turned the computer screen towards us and it revealed S.H.I.E.L.D.'s plans to in fact, create weapons powered by the cube. "What were you lying?" He asked sarcastically. 

"We were wrong, Director. The world hasn't changed a bit." Steve said. I heard the door open and I glanced over at Thor and Romanoff as they walked in. 

"Did you know about this?" Bruce asked Romanoff. 

"You want to think about removing yourself from this environment, Doctor?" She asked him. 

"I was in Calcutta. I was pretty well removed." He said as he chuckled humorlessly. 

"Loki is manipulating you." She said as she took a step towards him. 

"And you've been doing what, exactly?" He asked sarcastically. 

"You didn't come here because I bat my eyelashes at you."

"Yes, and I'm not leaving because suddenly you get a little twitchy." He said as he walked to the computer screen and pointed at it. "I'd like to know why S.H.I.E.L.D. is using the Tesseract to build weapons of mass destruction". 

"Because of him." Fury said as he pointed to Thor.

Thor pointed to himself, "me?" He asked. 

"Last year, Earth had a visitor from another planet who had a grudge match that leveled a small town. We learned that not only are we not alone, but we are hopelessly, hilariously, outgunned". Fury said. 

"My people want nothing but peace with your planet." Thor defended. 

"But you're not the only people out there, are you. And you're not the only threat. The world's filling up with people who can't be matched, that can't be controlled." Fury pleaded his case. 

"Like you controlled the cube?" Steve asked. 

"Schmidt did the same thing, and look where that got him. He's dead, along with his beloved Hydra." I added. 

"Your work with the Tesseract is what drew Loki to it, and his allies. It is a signal to all the realms that the Earth is ready for a high form of war." Thor said. 

"A higher form?" Steve questioned. 

"You forced our hand. We had to come up with something." Fury defended. 

"A nuclear deterrent. Because that always calms everything right down." Tony said sarcastically. 

"Reminded me again how you made your fortune, Stark." Fury said.