Chapter Twenty-Four

Steve and I arrived at Marydale's Institution. As we walked to the building, Steve was practically freaking out. The whole bus ride here, he was worried about my mom possibly not liking him. As we walked to the front desk, the receptionist greeted me with a smile. 

"I see you're here again," she noted. I nodded my head. She then glanced over at Steve. "Your boyfriend?" I looked at Steve and he smiled slightly and nodded his head. The woman began writing Steve and I our visitor passes. "What's your name?" She asked him. 

"Steve," he replied. She wrote our names on two passes and then handed them to us once she was finished.

"Well, I hope you two have fun. Will I expect to see you tomorrow?" She asked me. I nodded my head. 

"Most likely." Steve and I then began walking through the halls, hand in hand, hoping to calm him down. He seemed more nervous to meet my mom than when he tried talking to me. 

"Are you sure this is a good idea? I hardly know how to speak to around you, and you want me to meet your mom? What if I say something she doesn't like?" He panicked. I chuckled. 

"She'll love you, Steve. Just remain calm and be yourself," I assured him. We eventually made it to my mom's room and he stopped as we stood in front of the door. I looked at him and he was scared. "You are a super soldier, Captain. Nothing should scare you, not even meeting my mom." I told him. He smiled slightly. "Where's that brave soldier that would put himself in harms way just to protect me, hmm?" I asked, a playful smirk slowly forming on my lips. 

"That's a different story." He defended. 

"Fighting off Hydra soldiers is less terrifying than my mother?" He looked too nervous to answer. He scratched the back of his head. 

"No?" He said, sounding unsure. I smiled and pulled him toward the door. I peeked my head into my mom's room and she looked at me with a weak smile. 

"Danielle...you're here," she said weakly. I nodded my head. 

"I have someone who wants to meet you," I happily told her.

"What you told me was the other way around," Steve whispered. I then pulled him into the room and he shyly smiled at my mom. 

"Steve, this is my mom. Mom, this is Steve." I introduced them. 

"Hello ma'am," Steve said nervously. I then guided him to a chair near the bed and I pulled a chair beside him. "It's a pleasure to meet you", he said respectfully. My mom smiled. 

"Quite the manners. I see what you meant, Danielle." I nodded my head. I noticed Steve's leg was shaking, and so I gently rubbed my hand on his to try to calm him. "He's still very handsome...I see."She added. Steve smiled nervously, and glanced at me. 

"I may have shown a picture or two," I chuckled lightly. My mom weakly laughed. 

"She practically has an album," she told him. Steve chuckled and I looked at my mom and chuckled nervously. Steve gave me a look and I knew he wanted to see my 'album' I made of him. It was nothing really. Just a few photos from the boot camp and a few after we became America's hope. "If I may ask...do you love Danielle?" She asked. He smiled slightly and nodded his head. 

"She means, everything to me, Mrs. Thomson." Steve answered. 

"What do you love about Danielle?" I looked at Steve, and he looked at me. 

"I love the way her eyes sparkle when she's happy, her beautiful smile, and I even found it amusing to watch her boss around everyone as our superior at camp." I giggled lightly as I blushed at his answers. "But, I really love her for her personality. She's a strong, independent woman who can take care of herself. The way she cares for people, is rare to find. She's a bit stubborn at times, but at the end of the day, I can't help but love it. She's the one that I want to protect at all costs, and she's the dance partner I've been looking for." I smiled and Steve did the same. 

"Reminds me of Henry," My mom said weakly. Henry was my father. Their love was strong as ever and I looked up to that. As a child, I always wished to find someone to love, as much as my father loved my mother. And with Steve, I think I found that. Steve and I spent the next three hours in my mom's room, and we left to look at other ways of transportation. Steve didn't want to rely on the bus, and we did have enough money for something. 

We were walking around the dealership, looking at the different motorcycles. I preferred a car, but Steve insisted on a motorcycle. Since I did nearly drag him to visit my mother, I let him get his way. As I looked at the other displays, I heard Steve call my name.

"Danielle!' He called. I looked over at Steve, to see him sitting on a motorcycle. It reminded me a little of what we had back then, but with a modern look to it. "What do you think?" I smiled slightly. 

"I think it works," I told him. He then made his purchase and we were riding home on Steve's new motorcycle. The memories of the missions we've been together on ran through my mind. Once we made it home, I was practically ready to sleep. Steve; however, wasn't. Considering that he slept for nearly seventy years, he's had enough sleep to last him a long time. 

I had finished getting ready for bed, and I was putting my hair into a ponytail. As I did so, I noticed Steve walk into the bedroom, as I looked at him through the mirror. "I guess you're tired," He said sounding a little disappointed. I looked at him. 

"I guess you're not?" I jokingly shot back. He nodded his head. I didn't want to sleep just yet. I wanted to spend the most time with him after not being able to do so for so long. "Can you stay with me, until I fall asleep?" I asked him. He nodded his head. We then walked to the bed and I snuggled into Steve's tight, chest. He had one arm wrapped around me and his other hand was slowly moving up and down my arm. As he did that, it sent a tingly feeling through my body. I smiled to myself as I closed my eyes. 

"My sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy, when skies are grey". I happily sang. Steve pressed his lips against my head and I sighed happily, and I found myself slowly drifting off to sleep.