Risky Bees-ness

"I can't believe I'm back in Viridian Forest." I gazed around cautiously, not wanting to move any further but not wanting to wait around and run into something unwanted.

"It must not be a very fond memory." June had her eyes on me as we walked. "The last time you were here was when your journey was just beginning."

"Yeah," I shuddered. "The last time I was here, I was nearly done for by a gang of Beedrill."

"The girl with her Butterfree saved you the first time you got the Beedrill all riled up, right?" June asked in a lower, suddenly moody voice.

I nodded, not looking at her, focused on keeping watch for bugs. "She came at the last second and put them all to sleep with her Butterfree. Then, after she left, the Beedrill came back, and Charmander was the one to save me. That was when he came back."

June's eyes burned against the side of my head.

"Well, no need to stick around, right?" I asked impatiently, picking up my pace.

"Hey, Gary." June walked faster to keep up with me. "Why are you so afraid of bugs?"

"I just don't like them," I spoke shortly.

"Yes, but why is that? Did something happen to you once? You've never really explained your fear. Not to me, at least. Not that I remember."

An impatient shot of air came from my nostrils and I narrowed my eyebrows. "I'm pretty sure I have. Back in preschool, I went to use the bathroom, and I could've sworn there was a giant bee, a Beedrill, on the wall. I ran out screaming at the top of my lungs, but when the teacher went in, all she saw was a little regular sized bee. No Beedrill at all. That's pretty much all I remember. It's the earliest encounter with bugs I can recall. Since then, I never liked any insects."

June didn't speak as I walked even quicker, hearing grass rustling to the side of me. "And yet, you're not solely afraid of Beedrill, but of all bugs..." June said thoughtfully. "But why would one encounter with a Beedrill make you afraid of every bug out there?"

"I really don't care," I mumbled.

"Then again, maybe it is logical," June continued. "Maybe you're relating every bug to Beedrill in some kind of subconscious way."

I glared at June from out the corner of my eye. Now she's just talking out of her rear end, I thought. What does she think she is now? A psychiatrist? She probably doesn't even know the meaning of the word "subconscious."

"Preschool. That's a while ago. You were only but a little baby." June smiled at me.

I ignored her and tried to leave her behind as I moved.

"Have you had any other moments like that involving bugs?" June prodded, trying hard to keep up.

I sighed. "No."

"I'm sorry, Gary. Am I being too nosy?"

I slowed down and quickly stopped, frowning as I glanced down at the ground. "No, June." I took a deep breath and released it. "I just don't like talking about nasty bugs, okay?"

"Okay, Gary. I understand. I'm sorry."

At that, we proceeded through the clear path of the forest.

"Every time I've ever encountered a bug has almost always been a terrifying experience for me," I told June. "I don't really know where it stems from. I don't truly care. I just do not like bugs. Bug Pokemon, and regular bugs in general. They all just disgust me. And that's that."

Neither of us spoke, my final sentence seeming to have put an end to the discussion.

Birds chirped from above. Creatures moved through the grass, out of sight.