Family Business

"I hope to own like, every Bug Pokemon in the world!" Kai expressed to my Butterfree excitedly. "I captured so many in the Unova Region, since I've lived there most of my life. Then, when I came to work in Kanto, I saw a few more and caught them, too! I own a Galvantula, a Volcarona, an Accelgor, an Ariados I traded for by trading my Parasect to another fan of Bug Pokemon..."

I reluctantly walked behind Kai, listening to her constantly dwell on about gross Bug type Pokemon.

Butterfree wasn't bothered by the discussion, listening silently, staring Kai in the eyes as she stared back, jabbering on.

Kai's Sewaddle remained atop her hat, chewing on a leaf it had.

I don't see anything wrong with this forest, I thought irritably. No dangers of any kind. We're almost in Celadon City by now. I don't need this woman to escort me there. What I need to do is just return my Butterfree to her Poke Ball and excuse myself from this lady.

"Unova is so much different than it is here in Kanto," Kai continued on. "Unova's much more like a city. Like civilization and people and stuff. But people suck anyway; always judging you and hating you for what you love. Kanto has more nature and freedom and outdoors and nicer people because of that type of environment. I think Kanto is cool but the Bug Pokemon here aren't as interesting as in Unova. I mean, the Kanto Bug Pokemon are awesome too, but Unova has a Volcarona! A Bug and Fire type Pokemon! I mean, how cool is that?"

I pulled out my Pokedex, interested in what she had just said.

Volcarona. The Sun Pokemon and the evolved form of Larvesta. Volcarona releases fiery scales from their six wings to create a sea of fire that is said to be bright enough to replicate the sun.

Kai turned to me. "You don't even know what a Volcarona is?" she asked in disgust. "I am totally judging you."
I glared at her as I put my Pokedex away. My limit with her was being breached.

"How can you raise a Bug Pokemon and not even like it, let alone not know very much about them?" Kai asked me.

"That thing is from Unova for crying out loud!" I burst out. "I've never heard of that thing before, so I looked it up!"
"No excuse," Kai replied solemnly. "You're now being judged."
"What is that??" I shouted, heating up in frustration. "What does 'judging' even mean?"

"Your dislike of Bug Pokemon has lead me to judge you," Kai replied.

"And???"

"And now you are judged."

My hands went to my face in anger as I growled. This woman was driving me nuts.

She turned back to my Butterfree. "How do you put up with this guy?" she asked Butterfree. "You should find yourself a different Trainer or something. You should be my Pokemon! I haven't captured a Butterfree yet!"
"HEY!" I raged. "Butterfree's mine!"
Kai turned to me. "You don't even like her."
"I LOVE MY BUTTERFREE! YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO SAY THAT!"

Sewaddle had finished its leaf and was now looking into the sky above, uninterested in the argument beneath it.

Dunsparce kept her seemingly closed eyes on us, Butterfree looking back and forth between us.

"It's only based on what you've told me and how I've seen you interact with her," Kai spoke calmly.

"You don't know anything about our relationship! Nothing! Keep your stupid, damn opinions to yourself until you actually know what the hell you're talking about!"
Kai stopped walking and stared at me. "Well," she started. "RUDE!"
"ME?! You've been nothing but rude to me!"