Songs About June

We should've been there by now, I thought, staring at the Town Map. I was trying to retrace my steps on the Town Map from where I was now, and back. I couldn't spot Tough Town, and supposedly Azure City was a couple of towns away from Cloud City. Tower Town and Increment Town were supposed to be very close to Cloud City, and Azure City wasn't meant to be much further from there. Nonetheless, June and I had been traveling for quite a while now, and still hadn't reached our planned destination.

I was wearing my black jacket with the image of Mewtwo on the right breast. My black fitted cap sat atop my head, backwards, the Poke Ball showing from the front of me that way.
It was getting so much warmer outside now. Spring was here for sure. This worried me, knowing the Pokemon League was getting closer and I still had two more Badges to get.

June was quiet for a change today. She had been since our battle with the Butterfree girl just yesterday, walking not far behind me, which was surprising as she was usually practically walking on top of me!

The silence should've been nice. The space should've been welcomed. It all should've been what I'd desired since June first decided to travel with me. But it wasn't. Not this kind of silence. This was forced. An unsettling kind of peace. It was why I had taken out the Town Map; to distract myself from the uncomfortableness, trying to understand why we weren't in Azure City yet. I'd look at the Town Map for a couple of hours, glancing up on occasion to see if I could spot any signs of Azure City up ahead. On occasion, I glanced back at June from the corner of my eye.

Her head was down as she walked, pain clear in her eyes. She was really distraught about not being able to read the Butterfree girl's Pokemon.

I placed the Town Map back into my backpack that hung from one shoulder and continued to walk, secretly wishing June would speak to me. As much as I hated how much she talked about complete nonsense and made me wish she'd just stay quiet and not ruin my enjoyment of our walks, I now found myself unable to enjoy the nature around us, desiring her to talk now.

We walked along a path with much lower grass than we had been maneuvering through previously, the grass only reaching up to my ankles. There was no telling if we were headed in the right direction. Everything looked the same around us, grass being the only sight for miles.

June sniffled. It was the only sound she'd made all day.

I had fed my Pokemon a while ago, and June traversed on her own through the field until she vanished from sight, not returning for around two hours to be with her Pokemon. When she returned and we were ready to continue, she remained silent. I hadn't said a word to her, no idea of what to say.

The ability to read Pokemon wasn't like anything I'd ever heard of even being remotely possible. Sure, many people were highly in tuned with their Pokemon's feelings, but June's ability to read them was something else entirely. A true gift. It was incredible.

Why couldn't she read Porygon-Z and the Butterfree girl's Pokemon? It was a question I wasn't able to answer, and one I was unable to help her get over.

And so we continued to walk relatively close to each other, yet further apart than ever.

Personally, I didn't see June's issue as such a big deal. I mean, it was surely upsetting to lose the ability to read a Pokemon's internal, personal feelings and be able to communicate with them, but it wasn't the end of the world. She still had her health. June probably just needed some time to herself to rest and catch her breath and focus. Her gift would return. I was sure of it. I was curious as to why it was specifically Porygon-Z and the Butterfree girl's Pokemon that she couldn't read, but I felt it was a problem that could be resolved. When June saw Porygon-Z at Cleopatra's Gym, it was a very intense situation. When she saw the Butterfree girl's Pokemon, it was also a serious moment. With a clear head, I was sure June could read any Pokemon.