A Little Time Apart

I started to push myself up to my feet, but Robin moved quickly over to me, extending his hand out to me to my surprise. I took it and he smiled, helping me to stand.

Robin turned to June and assisted her up, too. "June, what brings you here?" Robin asked.

"Um..." June hesitated and gave me a quick glance. Her hands swiftly went to her now blown out, puffy hair and ran through it in a desperate attempt to keep it down. An attempt that proved entirely unsuccessful as it instantly returned to its red cotton ball state. She grunted and sneered off to the side as her hands fell hard to her sides and then smiled forcibly. "Well, to be honest, I'm traveling with Gary."

Robin's eyes widened in shock. "Really...?" He turned to me, and then back to June. "That's... um... Why?"
June's eyes shot to the ground. "I just... think Gary has a great connection with his Pokemon," June explained shyly, growing red in her face. "He has something I wish I had better of. I want to build a stronger bond with my Pokemon, too. I've traveled with Gary for a while now, and I've learned quite a lot from him. I want to learn even more. I've deduced that traveling with Gary is a great way for me to learn about Pokemon."

This was now beyond embarrassing and I kept my eyes down.

It was very quiet. Only the wind blowing could be heard now.

Robin busted out laughing, loudly. "Gary? You're learning from Gary?" Robin laughed. "I'm sorry, but what can you possibly learn from Gary??" Robin held his stomach and kept on laughing.

"At least my Pokemon listen to me!" I scowled. "Or have you just now gotten Catherine to do what you say?"

Robin's laughter was cut short and he shot me a dirty look.

"Well, since you won't even battle my Charmeleon, I guess you're unsure of if she'll listen or not, yet," I continued, my tone easing up, not speaking so harshly now that Robin was mad, which was what I wanted. I felt happy getting him to shut up. "How do you intend to get anywhere with a disobedient Pokemon? You'll never officially defeat me if you can't get her to battle me. It doesn't matter if she won't battle me, or my Charmeleon. You're no Pokemon Master if you can't master your own Pokemon."

Robin bared his teeth at me as he continued to glare. "I just want to understand what the exact problem is!" he shouted. He grabbed a Poke Ball from his belt, pressing the button in the middle, the Poke Ball growing in size. "I can't be a Pokemon Master without understanding my Pokemon, right? So are we battling, or what?"

I thought for a minute.

Charmeleon.

Primeape.

Hoothoot.

Kingdra.

Weepinbell.

Baltoy.

Robin and I exchanged rival level glances.

I grabbed a Poke Ball from my belt. "I'm ready when you are!" A smile spread across on my face.

"Catherine, it's time to win!" Robin threw her Poke Ball at the ground.

The Poke Ball bounced twice before popping open in midair.

"Squirtle!" Catherine cried out happily.

Seeing her, my smile only broadened.

Catherine looked up at me in shock and then returned my smile, her eyes seeming to glimmer with happiness. "Squirtle!" She ran towards me.

"CATHERINE! FREEZE!" Robin's voice echoed as I knelt down to greet Catherine.

Catherine kept running to me, completely ignoring Robin.