The New Breed

So I ran faster. Excited for so many reasons.

Pewter City was where I was going to get my first Badge. This was the next step for me to become a Pokemon Master. Collect a minimum of eight Badges from the powerful Gym Leaders in the Kanto region, and then compete in the Pokemon League competition held yearly in the Indigo Plateau. If I won there, I may even get to challenge the Elite Four of the Kanto region and maybe even be the Champion!

I stopped running as I arrived in front of the Pokemon Center of Pewter City and took a deep breath. Easy, Gary. You're getting way too ahead of yourself, I told myself. One step at a time.

I looked up at the humongous, fancy building that practically sparkled in the sunlight it sat underneath, with its red roof and huge, blue windows. The doors to the Pokemon Center opened and my Pokemon and I entered. Inside were Pokemon Trainers with their Pokemon. Almost everyone was in smiles, some talking excitedly in groups. Some people seemed sad, sitting alone in chairs.

My Mankey noticed one Trainer who had a Nidorina and decided to walk off on his own toward her.

"Mankey, wait! Don't just wander off like that!" I called to him.

As I started to walk after him, I noticed my Hoothoot was flying towards a Trainer's Weedle with great speed!

Weedle screamed its name loudly and began to run as fast as its slowness would carry it!

My Weedle then yelled out, pointed its stinger at Hoothoot, and leaped at it, trying to attack!

I heard my Mankey yelling behind me and I turned to see Nidorina and Mankey were fighting!

Nidorina was jabbing its horn at Mankey and he was dodging and attacking back!

Charmander calmly watched the entire scenario go down, a smirk on its face.

"ENOUGH!!!" I screamed.

Everyone in the Pokemon Center was staring at me. Nobody, including the Pokemon, was moving.

I ran to my Pokemon and returned every one of them to their Poke Balls, apologizing to each Trainer and their Pokemon, and with a sigh, I walked to the front counter.

"You really should know how to control your own Pokemon better," one trainer muttered to me. "You'll never be a good Pokemon Trainer if your Pokemon are that out of control."

I didn't say anything but just nodded in agreement, highly embarrassed.

Nurse Joy and Chansey smiled at me from behind the counter. "Hello and welcome to the Pewter City Pokemon Center," Nurse Joy greeted me.

"Chanseeeey!" Chansey joined in.

I couldn't help smile extra wide at Nurse Joy. The feeling was undeniable. How could I not fall victim to such a beautiful face? Suddenly, my knees got wobbly and weak. I only meant to look down at my Poke Balls and hand them to Nurse Joy, but as soon as I looked down to grab them, my knees gave out and I fell. Hard. So hard and sudden that my face slammed into the counter and I collapsed to the floor.

Nurse Joy quickly ran to me and knelt down. "Are you okay?" she asked with sincere concern.

This close to me, I felt even more unable to function properly and while trying to respond that I was okay, I only mumbled unintelligible nonsense.

"Chansey, I think he may need some medical attention," Nurse Joy said. "Take him into one of the rooms and take his Pokemon for observation, just to make sure they're okay, as well."

I was just about to stand up and shake off my throbbing head and let her know I was okay.

That was until she rested her hand on my shoulder and said, "Don't worry, I'll make sure you're okay."