Chapter 24

Emma's POV

I kept on working nonstop for about a month now pursuing my dream of leaving this dreadful place. I tried avoiding the presence of Alexander because if he knew, he won't let me leave this place. My work as a janitor for today is already done and it is time to go home.

I was walking down the sidewalk when I heard a familiar car engine and my senses were right, Alexander is here again. The car window rolls down and he kept on calling my name but I kept my head down ignoring him. He stopped the car and went down to follow me.

"Emma, please wait let's talk" he grabbed my arm and I yanked it away from him. I looked into his face with so much hatred but I restrained myself from speaking and just continued my walk going home because it's already a few steps ahead.

I went into my yard locking the gates before stepping straight to the door and closing it immediately and I saw the look of hurt and disappointment into Alexander's face while he is standing on the sidewalk.

I let out a deep breath I was holding and now I can finally relax. Tomorrow will be a great day because I already saved up enough money to go to New York and pursue a better life. I went inside my room pushing the suitcases filled with my clothes and necessities. I changed into my night clothes and I went straight to bed excited for tomorrow's plan.

After a night of rest, I woke up very early preparing my self double checking if all my things were in place. I pulled my suitcase out of the house and I locked it not knowing when I will come back but I planned not to as long as possible.

I called a cab to bring me to the airport. It arrived but luck was not in my side because I can see Alexander's car approaching. The cab driver went down to help me with my suitcase but Alexander rushed into me.

"Where are you going?" he asked and I can sense nervousness into his voice

"It's none of your business, now leave me alone!"

"You're my wife-"

"Don't call me your wife! You have lost your right to call me your wife the day you kicked me and our child out of your life! I suggest you stay away from me!"

I was about to go inside the cab when he suddenly grabbed arm harshly and I know it's his dangerous side. I got scared and I panicked, so I pulled out the pepper spray out of my pockets aiming it to his face. I sprayed it all over him and he backed away screaming profanities because of the pain in his eyes.

I told the driver to drive as fast as he can and that's when I saw Alexander's car just right behind us.

When we were in the airport, I immediately paid the cab driver and went down to run holding my heavy suitcase.

I looked around the airport and I spotted the entrance to my flight. I rushed in showing my ticket and passport and that's when I heard Alexander being stopped by security. I can hear him screaming at me.

"Emma, I will find you! You can't leave me!"

I looked for my seat and prayed for the plane to leave already. A several minutes later, the plane is preparing for take off and I was relieved. That's the last thing I remember when I finally got away for my fresh start.