Chapter 20

Emma's POV

It was raining outside with the cold breeze hitting my skin. The black shirt that I was wearing is soaked wet but my mind is focused on the scene that is being unfold in front of my own eyes. Tears are mixed with the rain drops pouring out to my face.

I watched the funeral home's men lower my daughters coffin to the ground with the priest stating his prayers. I felt numb and broken inside. I want a shoulder to cry on but no one is left for me. Shovels are now in their hold and they started to burry my Alexa. Every scoop of the shovel to the soil is like a stab to my heart. My one true happiness left me in so much despair.

My thoughts were interrupted when the priest said his goodbye. The funeral homes collected their things and now I was left alone under the rain. I waited for a few hours hoping for anyone that I knew might come. I even expected Alexander to be atleast here, but I don't want to expect too much.

It is getting colder and I think it's time to go home. I won't even call it a home anymore because the home of my heart is now burried to the ground.

The next morning, I woke up feeling empty. I am not living anymore, I am more like just existing in this cruel world. I went to the bathroom to clean myself up. I looked at the mirror and I can see a different person. The pain is written in her eyes and her body looks weaker than before. I can't even remember the last time I ate.

I went to the kitchen to look for something to eat. I prepared oats and I set it to the table. I forced myself to eat but I just can't. Just 3 spoons and that's it I lost my appetite. My body seems to deny the fact that my life had already a missing piece. I just put my plate to the sink and the oats straight to the trash.

I opened the drawers and I saw set of knives. I was mesmerized by how sharp it is and I know it is the key to to end my pain. I set the knife to my wrist and I know just one glide can end the pain. My hands are now sweaty and shaking. I started to sob as to why I am such a coward. I kept on forcing myself to do it but I just can't. I set the knife down knowing I don't have enough courage to end my own life.

I just want to go to bed and rest. I closed my eyes amd drifted to my own dream.

Inside the dream I saw myself in the mirror. The mirror suddenly bevomes a blur and my reflection became Alexa.

"A-alexa-"

"Mom, help me" she sobbed

"Baby, mommy loves you" I was about to touch the mirror but it started to shatter in pieces.

"IT'S YOUR FAULT MOMMY!"

I immediately woke up and cried. Even in my dreams, my nightmares and pain always catch up. My restlessness is starting to settle in but I just can't sleep fearing I might experience another nightmare.

I heard a knock from the door and I immediately went downstairs to check who it was in the middle of the night. I opened the door and I was shocked.

"A-alexander?"