Chapter 80: Sparring

Outside the office in a small waiting room, Cybil thanked Rachel for her cooperation even as most everyone else in the group (especially Max) were busy trying not to make any sudden moves.

Rachel knew this was going on, so she actively tried to seem less threatening. It didn't really work, but the effort was silently appreciated.

She absent-mindedly sat on one of the metal chairs... And crushed it like a tin can.

She looked around, embarrassed as horrified looks surrounded her.

She looked down dejectedly. "Maybe this wasn't such a good idea..."

"NO!" everyone practically screamed. Rachel raised an eyebrow.

"We... We're fine," Corrin insisted, trying to sound calm. "We just aren't... Used to you is all. Just give it some time..."

The large woman hesitated, but didn't argue.

"Do you have some place where you train, as in for self-defense, combat, etc.?" James asked, changing the subject.

"Yeah... But you would need to ask permission to use it if there aren't any classes being held in it."

James quickly stepped back into the commander's office. He stepped out a minute later.

"We have leave. Let's go, let's go, let's go!"

***

Everyone rushed downstairs, excluding Rachel, who moved as carefully as she could to minimize collateral damage.

The ground floor contained an MMA-like arena which apparently was home to many sparring matches and combat classes held at the base.

"Let's quickly get this done!" James ordered as he had all of them spar and train to gauge the full scope of their powers.

***

They fought and trained late into the evening , since no classes were being held that day (and that Luke did the group a favor by giving them free reign in the place for the day, at least).

While little new information was revealed in regards to everyone's abilities (Ryu had unreal aim and accuracy, but James had told Cybil that earlier), it would be useful to have some practice under their belt.

However, they did have some level of fun sparring and watching. Not only that, but a friendly rivalry did develop between Cybil and Corrin. They were duking it out by the end.

"Interesting. You seem a lot less...showy than some people I know..." Corrin noted in between breaths.

"Why would I be 'showy'? Fighting is my job." That last bit practically made her grit her teeth just to admit.

"Just an observation."

Corrin leapt up the cage, intending to come down with a kick. Cybil dodged and returned with the back of her fist.

Corrin hit the floor, but sent a powerful kick on the way up. The force of the wind blew a wary Cybil to the end of the cage. She collapsed on the ground, but didn't give up. She launched at Corrin, spinning and feet first.

The ninja actually managed to catch the girl's legs, the force was so great on both sides that they both wound up collapsing on the ground.

"You know," Corrin announced, dazed. "I think we're ready...for about anything this guy throws at us..."

"I hope we are..." Rachel said. She hadn't really fought. Then again, it was agreed that if she had to fight, her raw strength alone would be enough to turn the tide.

"I just want to go to sleep, you know... Forever." Moonie complained, to everyone's nodding approval.

"Come on, everyone..." James was yawning. "If we hurry, I can put in the coordinates and we can get home before we all pass out for the next decade.

Of course, a chorus of yawns were the only appropriate responses.

***

Above: Corrin's Theme- Theme of Guy, Street Fighter IV