Chapter 60: Freudian Slipped

"By the way..." Winnie trailed off, getting everyone's attention.

He suddenly disappeared in a puff of black smoke, only to reappear on the other side of the room, on the bed in the blink of an eye.

To say that this scared the daylights out of the scientist would be the understatement of the century.

Winnie teleported over and caught James before he could hit the floor.

"Sorry."

"Th-thanks."

"Please... Please don't do that again."

Some hitches in Winnie's breathing were probably his attempt at a laugh or chuckle.

While this was going on, Marina had begun tapping away on a laptop. All eyes were directed there.

She moved out of the way to give him a glimpse of a familiar face, for him, at least.

"Where did you get this...?"

"Someone sent it to us. See?"

She replaced the picture with the email it had been placed in.

To whom it may concern,

Your "brother" is located at these coordinates. We can all look forward to the lovely little family reunion that's coming very soon...

The sender was identified as a string of random text, but there was no need for Fuller to put his signature on this to make it clear that he sent it. The link to the coordinates was below the link that contained the picture.

"Pull up the picture again," James commanded with urgency.

Marina obeyed. "Okay... Do you know this guy?"

He didn't answer. In fact, his next words were to order everyone in his clandestine little group back to the chopper.

"But we just..." Tyrone began, only to be cut off.

"Sorry, Ty. We don't have time to spend. We need to finish this!"

"Finish this? What are you talking about?" That came from Elena.

He then realized just what he said. It was time to backtrack. "I... I mean..."

"Finish. What," That gave everyone pause. That wasn't a question. That was a demand for an explanation.

"He wants us to team up to stop Wester..." Cybil mumbled.

"Shut up!" he hissed at her.

"WHAT?" Elena was fuming. "Where was THIS explanation the night before?!"

The scientist hung his head. This had been an impromptu conversation between him and Cybil during the flight over. He had waited until Ty and Elena had been asleep for a portion of the flight.

Truthfully, he hadn't thought Cybil had been listening, as she had been mostly elsewhere mentally. He didn't blame her, considering what she might have to one day do.

"We don't have time..." James ventured, kicking himself mentally.

"No. YOU don't have time! You may have dragged us into this up to now, but you are not having my baby fight your battles for you. We stay right here!"

James fumbled about, grumbling to himself for about a minute before Cybil spoke up.

"Daddy! Couldn't... Couldn't we just go alone this time?" She looked very uncomfortable here, mirroring her brother's sentiment regarding the situation.

He didn't answer, so Cybil wound up leading her out the door in a rather comical fashion. He wasn't laughing, though.

***

The two who were unaware of most of this were downright baffled by this turn of events.

"Marina... What just...?"

"I have no idea."