Chapter 68: Crises On Top Of Crises

Meanwhile...

The break room, it seemed, wasn't Ryu's only destination. Raelynn had coaxed him out of it (with the blessing of one of the server girls), to help lead the patrons to the nearby park until the action blew over.

As he and his sister led the cavalcade of people out of danger to a nearby park, he couldn't help but recognize just how diverse they were. There was a pretty diverse mix of people, both with powers and without them, sprinkled throughout the crowd. That was rare in a world where often the best thing that they could hope for was not to get shot on the streets (that had actually happened in certain parts of the world) and to be left alone.

The strangest thing about it was that they all looked scared. One wouldn't expect it from personal who could shoot fire from their hands, turn invisible, and the like. The truth was, though, that they were not invincible, and taking their abilities away would be a good way to demonstrate that. Humans and superhumans weren't all that different in the whole, and crises like this proved that.

"Ryu-san!"

The boy looked out in the midst of the crowd, as well as the midst of his thoughts, to the source of a familiar voice. It was his wonderful sister, of course, dashing frantically towards him with no small amount of exuberance.

"You won't believe who I just met!"

He decided to humor her. "Who was it?"

She was so excited that she barely even got out the answer. "It's our Dad-- James McDougal!"

The boy's stomach dropped at this statement. He knew exactly who she was talking about. The man he had seen with her... The man from his nightmares.

This couldn't be happening. Not now. He was far from ready for this confrontation. He tried to hide the horror he felt deep inside as not to disappoint Raelynn. Along with the existence of the nightmares themselves, this was the second major thing he was hiding from her.

He put on the most realistic simulation of a smile that he could muster at the moment. "Th-that's great!"

He quickly tried to formulate something that might stall her, but didn't come up with anything before being wheeled off to whatever breed of disaster this was going to be.