Chapter 9: The Drive

In a secret room, a few floors up from the Organization Laboratory...

One solitary computer inhabited an otherwise rather empty sitting room. A single plant and coffee table set gave the room any sense of purpose other than being a woefully underfunded computer lab.

"In case you're wondering, I already know what happened regarding that little trip to the pharmacy."

Fuller had made this admission upon both him and Cybil walking into the room. She shrank back, purely out of what one would consider to be "human instinct".

"You're not in trouble," Fuller reassured, putting a hand on her shoulder. "You merely carted out orders of which you had no choice. No one should ever have to go through something like that."

And no one ever will after I'm done cleaning house around here, Fuller thought bitterly.

His emotions must've shown through unconscious action, as he suddenly felt Cybil's hand restraining his own. He let go of her, while the girl had reluctantly loosened her own grip.

She didn't trust him. That was just great. He was just going to have to make it a point to win her over later when she was more...responsive.

He cleared his throat. "Anyway, I called you over here to give you something."

He walked over and tapped a few buttons on the computer's keyboard. A small table with glass casing over it popped up in place of the coffee table. Within the glass dome sat a blue USB drive.

While most would consider such a device a trinket nowadays (as brain-to-computer storage technology was already moving through prototype stages and patent application battles), this particular one would prove vital to Cybil and company in the future.

Especially for a certain boy in a wheelchair.

He strung it up on a bare necklace and put it on the girl's neck. She didn't flinch, but all the same kept her eyes on him.

"Keep it." Fuller said when he stood back. "You'll do what you need to with it when the time is right. I'm sure of it."

He led her out of the room.

I'm sure of it.