Chapter 8: Promise

Back at the Laboratory...

"What have you had to do?"

The question had hung in the air for several minutes at this point, with no sign of a break in the silence. In fact, Cybil had gotten done with her patch-up job and was now in a sort of "stand by" mode. Even Fuller had apparently gotten too uncomfortable with the situation.

The silence was killing him, so he asked, "Do you want to tell me? Reply: yes or no."

It was an order. As one of her handlers, she had no choice but to reply.

"No," came the clipped, processed response.

James wondered what part of him wanted to pry a confession out of her by making her give a detailed mission report. Was it borne out of a fatherly sense of concern, or was it a lingering twisted fascination with Cybil's abilities?

It didn't matter. He needed to tell her something more important. "I love you!"

Cybil attempted to stay stoic, but quickly had to supress a look of surprise that flashed on her face.

"You heard me," he stated emphatically. He clambered to his feet with much difficulty and made the best attempt he could to hug her with one arm.

She stiffened like a board at this, and for a second, James thought he might have just given up his other arm.

Then... A miracle.

She relaxed.

The ensuing father-daughter hug was James' chance to ask.

"Do you want to know about them, your siblings?"

She didn't respond. He made her face him.

"Nod yes if you do and shake your head no if you don't."

The motion was stiff and robotic, but she nodded her consent.

"I'll tell you everything I can. With my dying breath if I need to."

Just then, Fuller walked in the room and called her over to him. She started over, but looked back at James.

"Go on," James gently prodded. "Be a good girl."

Maybe he had just been seeing things, but he could've sworn she mouthed,  unsure what she was saying, "Good...girl."