Wake Up

I felt like I was dreaming but getting really bad flashbacks. Seeing my grandma, getting the call, hearing about my mom and dad seeing her talk to them and then talk to me, seeing her at my Elementary graduation smiling and waving I had all these flashbacks and then there were the dark ones too. I saw her in the hospital bed smiling and then leaving but the machine sound running through my head. I can still feel myself tossing and turning roughly in my bed I was screaming in my dreams I didn't know I was out loud. I then shot up out of my bed screaming bloody murder and then froze and a cool breeze came through my window I just started crying as darry and Soda ran in turning on my lights. Darry just looked relieved that I was even alive from that scream. And soda he came over and just hugged me and held me as I just sobbed. It's just been hard I mean it's only been 2 days what do you expect.
"It's okay it's okay" soda reassured me
"I don't get it we were just there! There should have been some mistake that they did! before I left she was smiling and laughing she was fine I was just there before that! She was cracking jokes and was fine!" I yelled so angry at myself.
"I know but things happen" Sodapop told me.
"Then why is it just to me why is it only me and nobody else!"
"Savannah grow up! Things happen alright people leave!" Darry said annoyed just then Ponyboy walked into my room.
"Oh ya?! just like how Baby left you right?!" I said angry. I mean are you serious? Grow up? I don't even know what that means?!
"Savannah I'm getting really tired of your smart mouth running! You need to learn some God damn respect and maybe I should send you to a military school like they did for Chris! You need to just start behaving!...." I just let the tears keep running. At this point I couldn't hold back it just burned my eyes crying now but maybe it's because I'm part stupidly blind!
"You don't just stop living when someone leaves you"
"If you don't stop living for people that leave then what happened to you?! Huh?! You used to love all of us at one point then you decided to try to get rid of us! Once again Soda is the one who actually speak to us normally and cares about us you on the other hand just care about yelling at us and taking out all your problems on us! When was the last time you even asked us hey Ponyboy or Savannah how was your day can you remember the last time you actually asked us that and cared?!"
"Well maybe it's because I'm always working and busy! Ever think of that?!"
"Look Darry stop she's already upset"
"No soda! She needs to learn some respect!" He yelled.
"Darry stop! She's already hurt please stop you can go to bed me and Soda got this" Pony told him.
"Pony shut the hell up you don't know shit! Stop treating her like a damn 4 year old she's just doing it for attention"  Darry said annoyed.
"Darry I'm not frickin doing it for attention and my actual brothers are caring about me! Look you think I wanted to loose my mom my dad my best friend and my grandma?! No I didn't. I don't want to be here frickin scared and having nightmares crying! So don't go telling me that I'm crying when I'm hurt or lose someone for attention!" Pony started walking torwards mean as Darry left and I could barely see him push Ponyboy.
I was then full of anger. I stood up and tried not to trip over things. I then turned him around and started yelling.
"Darry I frickin hate you! You treat me Ponyboy and Sodapop like shit you never care about us! You only care about yourself! Your turning into a God damn soc and we all frickin hate you! Stop thinking your Frickin better then us! Maybe by the time you stop acting like a damn soc I'll grow up and maybe if I'm lucky I'll already of moved out and never have to hear or be around you again!" Darry just walked away. I turned around and I could tell the boys were just staring at me. Darry just left in silence.
"Show's over you guys can go" I said wipping away my tears.
"Savannah its-"
"No.. guys thank you but.. just go" I said lightly. I slowly walked to my bed as they left and held my knees up to my chest. Someone just shoot me! I thought to myself. I cried myself to sleep again and I felt like my vision was clearing up a little but I doubt it. I hate it when people fight it's annoying and it just bugs me. It's like even though it's not your fault you just still can't stand it and I guess that's how I relate the most to Johnny cake. His parents always fight I don't know how he does it, I could barely handle all my brothers fight I mean greasers have to keep everything in and even if I don't nobody actually cares as you could tell as Darry showed. I like boxing and actual fights but I hate yelling fights just I don't know how to explain it. There is this one quote I remember Ponyboy was telling me from a poem. It's something by Robert Frost called Nothing Gold Can Stay. It's like everything that's good can't stay around. Or when your a kid everything is new I guess it's just the good things can't stay but for me it's hard to explain but I guess it's what happened to Mom and Dad and Grandma too. Just doesn't make sense she was fine then she was just gone like that. Well I guess now surprisingly me and Darry are in a fight. I don't know I just miss those days when we don't get along I remember when no one ever fought between us. Maybe once in awhile but nothing like this. I just miss those good old days. I just don't like it when people don't treat other people right even that one person is me. I mean anytime Darry get in a fight with baby I always defend her and then Darry would pull me aside and tell me just to stay out of it and all I wanted to say was just something smart but I just bite my tongue. Sometimes it's for the best though. I woke up the nest morning feeling my eyes still a little swollen. I went to the bathroom and put some warm and cold Rags on them until they slowly went down. I then looked into the mirror and telized something. Wholy shit! I can frickin see again! I thought to myself smiling. I mean it was barely foggy but I could now see my hand in front of me a lot clearer. I then walked outside to see all the guys there just hanging out while Two bit was still watching TV with Johnny on the couch. Darry was at work though I don't know why I still see soda and Steve. They should have been at work by now.
"Morning soda what are you still doing here I thought you and Steve had to be at work by 8"
"Hey you can see! Alright Munch!...  Anyways Well Buck called and said that he needed to do some stuff at the gas station I don't exactly know why but hey I'm not gonna ask why. We got to stay home and sleep in but we got to go by 12 but since it's time we still got 2 hours. Can you come in and help us for the day?" He asked walking to the front with me behind him.
"Ya I'll go! I like going with you guys I'll go get my uniform on and put my hair up" I said excited walking back inside. I like to go into the DX and work. It gives me something to do then just a bum around all day. I grabbed my uniform shirt that Soda got customly made for me that said my name. He also got me my own DX hat. I don't go very much because of school and stuff which reminds me I'll have to go back tomorrow but it's ok I guess. Summer starts next Wednesday. I put my hair in a high pony tail with my white shirt under my work shirt. I then ran outside ready to go.
"Jumpy much kid" Dallas smiled.
"Ya but I haven't been out in 3 days or so and I have all this energy" I smiled.
"Alright if you got so much energy run 3 laps around the yard" Steve smirked doubting I could run.
"Fine" I said as I sprinted as fast as I could. I don't run really fast since I haven't done softball in awhile but I did my best and finished in almost no time and I still had lots of energy.
"Damn what did they give you coffee?" Dall looked at me strange.
"Nope cause I hate coffee" I smiled. They then walked inside with me trailing behind.
I then tackled Two butt cause I really wanted to play. I'm telling you I'm like a little kid!
"Hey woah!! HEY YOU MADE ME SPILL MY BEER!" Two but yelled.
"Sorry! Come on Two bit play with me let's do something!"
"Woah pick this up first then get me another beer then come talk to me." I frowned but quickly got up ran and got a rag and some water cleaned up the beer and then got to another one now we do something with me please I begged I was so bored and had so much energy I just wanted to do something.
"Kid there's nothing to do so just hold your horses sides I'm an adult a grown man you know I do those adult things" he said popping his beer open.
"Two bit you don't even know what the definition of an adult is" I smirked.
" well I know more than you know out of a whole dictionary" he sipped his beer.
"Well I would hope so with you being held back in high school for what 3 years now?" I smiled.
"Hey at least I didn't get held back in 1st grade smarty" so what yes I got held back in first grade.
"Look come on let's play do something!" I said now pulling on his shirt.
"Uhh fine what you wanna do? Oh I have an idea let's play hide and seek?!" He said happy.
"Hey no! I know that trick last time you left me hiding for an hour!" I said as he just shrugged. I got up and went to Dallas.
"Hey Dall will you do something fun with me I'm bored!" I complained.
"Ok what do you want to do?" He asked turning to me.
"I don't know play catch I guess"
"Why you asking me?! Go ask Johnny Cade. The kid has an arm like a machine I tell ya" he said looking over at Johnny sitting on the couch. I didn't believe him but I still Asked. Johnny got up as I gave him one of my brothers gloves. We started off slow but we soon reached about 50 yards. He threw it easily perfectly. I then heard a yell from the sidewalk.
"Holy shit! Johnny can play!" Teddy yelled shocked.
"Ya and if you haven't noticed Savannah can see now you 4 eyed pile of shit"
"Hey a pile of shit has a million eyes!" I heard Teddy say. They started walking over to me with Johnny also coming.
"Hey we think we know where Chris is" Gordie said pretty confident.
"Alright I know where this is going where you guys get in trouble and of course something goes wrong. I suggest now that you guys don't do it. Anyways back to reality what's the plan" Johnny asked tossing the ball up to himself. The boys told me about it and how they were going to do it by 2:00.
"Sorry but I gotta help Soda and Steve at work today but I'll meet you guys on the dot by 6. Pick me up at the DX and just say we're going to watch a movie I'll get Soda to let me go" I smiled. They nodded in agreement and left. Me and Johnny just then walked inside Cooley knowing nothing at all whatsoever. I was ready to go so to finally got Steve out of the kitchen from eating the cake and told him we had to go. Today we all walked there which wasn't too bad but let me tell you it was hot. Today they told me they had two cars to work on in the back and that I would have to manage putting in gas and cashier and then once in a while helping them with small things for the cars. I had quite a few people that needed gas of course A lot of them we're Square or soc's. They would try to do something stupid but I can always take care of myself. I would help Soda or Steve with little things even though Steve didn't like it when I helped him even if he did need the help. I would walk around helping out once in a while sweeping up and stuff like that and I hated it but I still did it to help them out. I liked it here it was always pretty fun I got to hang out with my older brother and stuff. It was already 5:25 but then Darry came in. Kind of glared at me at first and I hate it when he did that to me it would sometimes give me the chills but I never let it show. He walked past me into the shop and it heard him talking to Steve and soda so I stayed up front and it would help other customers get gas. He then finally came out and had me sit down and he sat down. Normally Darry never apologizes ever even though he tells me to always apologize and recognize when I'm wrong even though most of the time I'm not he always tells me that when he can never do it himself. Ponyboy always told me that for some reason it wasn't fair for me to expect that from him because right now he has to be like a parent for us and I guess that gives him the right to look down at us and just be a straight asshole. I mean Darry is rediculas. He honestly never cares for what we have to say anymore
"Alright let's just get this out of the way right now." He said sternly.
"What are you mad about and I'll tell you what I'm mad about"
"I'm mad that you think that whatever I do is for attention weather it's when I cry because I'm hurt emotionally or physically or when I'm just hanging out with guy friends. It doesn't matter to you though! Every time you shut me out and make excuses on how I should treat you or if I have a point or am right I'm automatically disrespectful! Even if I'm calm" I explained getting worked up.
"Alright well I'm gonna tell you this now I'm an adult your a child and that's all there is to it. I don't have to give you respect. I don't even have to try to make you happy but I do. You just need to straighten out at this point though. So that's why next year I decided and already signed you up for next year's classes that you are going to the private school up the road"
"WHAT?!! Darry you can't just do that! We can't afford it for one and 2 I've been waiting to go to high school with Ponyboy Johnny Two bit and the rest of the guys! Darry that's not fair! I'm not going there you can't make me go" I yelled.
"Oh trust me your goin and it's a Christian private school where you where uniforms and actually mind your MANNERS"He said making manners a key word. He told me that he used a lone from work that he can pay off in 6 months. I can't believe him! Now he's just getting rid of me. (Please remember this is based in the 50s where times were different for church and many other religions so do not take it seriously! Thank you!)  "Your gonna start in mid August and you have an interview with them at the end of the summer before school. I got to go but I'll see you at home" he walked out. I was ready to run to the tree house and use that stupid punching bag but then I relized it's not there and neither is Chris. It's 5:58 and the boys should be here any minute. I ran to Soda in the back looking angry.
"Sodapop look work is over in 3 minutes I just need some time with the guys can I go to the movies... Please" I said sternly.
"Savannah it's a school night though" he said rubbing his neck thinking about it.
"Soda please after what Darry told me right now I-"
"Wait what did Darry tell you?" He asked confused.
"Just talk to him about it I'm gonna get myself worked up can I please go I'll be back home soon please!" I begged.
"Fine but I'm picking u up in front of the theater by 9 sharp you hear!" He pointed. I nodded and left. The boys were there of course and from there we headed out.