Chapter Twenty-Four

Starbucks had become even more of a mess. The store would actually need builders, not just a cleaning crew. Especially for the Iron Man-sized-hole in the wall.

Both heroes and criminals had leveled off into one on ones. Hamish and Clint had ended up fighting outside, a person who never misses vs a person with superpower infested arrows.

Nobody else wanted to fight outside out of fear of becoming a pincushion.

Natasha and the daughter of Hephaestus, Sylva were circling each other, both with daggers in hand.

Blyke was on Thor and Sophie was on Steve with Zachary on Tony.

Finally, Percy was fighting once again with Lyla.

But it was weird.

He knew this wasn't her best fighting. She'd fought harder and less sloppy even in the alleyway when he wasn't meant to be harmed.

Was she injured?

Percy couldn't shake the feeling that something wasn't quite right.

"You can fight better than this, I know you can. What happened?" If Percy knew then he could stop acting so cautious, waiting for a strong blow to finally come his way.

"I just don't want to." Lyla huffed, unwilling to meet his eyes.

"Bullshit. You injured or something?" Percy ducked under what he could tell was a half-hearted punch.

"No." Her eyes flickered away for a moment.

Liar.

But now wasn't exactly the time to be worrying about his enemy. For the remainder of the fight, Percy didn't see any of the crazy moves she used back in the alleyway. In fact, she didn't use her powers at all, at least, from what he could tell.

A wave of rapidly frosting water rose and surged towards his opponent when a booming high pitched whistle resonated in his head. The water crashed to the ground, ice shards shattering and scattering upon impact as Percy lost focus and held his hands over his ears, a futile attempt to block out the noise. 

Through blurry vision, Percy could see that he wasn't the only one affected. Lyla had dropped to her knees, hands covering her ears. From what Percy could see, his teammates weren't affected, but looking very confused. 

Was it only demigods who were affected?

Slowly Percy could pick out words, a voice amongst the screaming. 

"It's time to retreat. It's time to retreat." Percy felt an irresistible urge to get up and leave, but a shoulder on his hand stopped him from rising. The screeching faded and Percy slumped against the person behind him. His hands fell to his sides and he could see them coating in thin trails of blood. Percy's vision was swimming, red spots dancing across his sight. 

"What happened, they suddenly ran away!" Tony yelled, alert as he came barreling back in. "I couldn't follow, but I did manage to stick a tracker on one of them." Tony noticed Percy, now passed out against Thor, blood trickling out of his ears.

"What happened to him? The enemy just dropped." Clint entered through the hole in the wall left by Tony earlier. 

"Something only Inhumans can hear?" Natasha suggested, sheathing her weapons. 

"I didn't hear anything though," Steve said. He was technically an Inhuman.

"It doesn't work that way. Not quite." Thor said quietly, lifting Percy and preparing to head back. 

"Thor, what do you know?" Steve demanded. It was unnerving how the lot of them, including Percy, had just dropped, writhing in pain.

"I cannot say. But... It appears only a certain type of Inhuman could hear it. I could sense it, but was not affected." And then he stood, leaving for the tower with the unconscious demigod.

~~~~

The group of demigods returned to Adamantine, scowling heavily with ringing ears and cleaning the blood away.

"You had to use that monster didn't you?" Zachary growled. He rather liked his hearing in perfect shape. 

She didn't say anything. He huffed and left, grumbling under her breath. Lyla avoided her gaze and followed silently. Hamish felt pity well up inside him. 

"Blyke, Hamish, and Sophie. Report. Sylva, you are dismissed." Adamantine had given her orders, and they would follow them. Sylva nodded respectfully and left. 

"They are not all that strong. Should we use our full power they would be utterly destroyed. Not that that would be necessary." Blyke said coldly. But it was true and the facts were facts. Adamantine turned to Sophie for confirmation.

"Blyke speaks the truth. These Avengers are no threat to our plan." Hamish flinched. He hated the idea of using his full power. He'd seen the effects and hated them. He hated to see the catastrophe all of their powers could create.

And Adamantine planned to unleash that on Olympus.

~~~~

Another chapter. Holidays officially start in 3 hours YiPpiE! Anyway, another chapter :D

Peace,

BTSWD
Borntosingwithdrama