Chapter Seventeen

The pair stood in silence for a moment, basking in one others presence. And then finally Percy broke the silence.

"Hi, Mum." He gave her a sad smile full of emotions. It had been so long- too long since they had last seen each other.

Percy jolted as he watched his mother break down in front of him. A sob escaped her mouth, tears running down her face and dripping onto the carpet. Percy felt incredibly guilty. He drew her close into a big hug, attempting to soothe her. His thumb rubbed circles on her back and whispered comforting things to her.

"I'm here now." He mumbled softly. Sally came to her senses and broke out of her son's hold.

"You idiot." She muttered. "Two years and no word at all. I understand that you were with your father but-"

Percy bowed his head in shame. Sally pushed his fist against his chest, a lame attempt at a punch. "You can't do that to me." She said. Sally would not meet his eyes, not yet, for she knew her anger would drop the moment she did.

"I know, and I'm really sorry. I should've done something, IM'd you or something. Maybe even a postcard." It was a lame attempt to lighten the mood, but finally she looked up at her eldest child.

He eyes were so much like his father's, but they looked so much more fragile than the last time she saw them. He wouldn't talk much about what had happened, and that hurt her, but she could understand. Sally hated the fact that she couldn't keep him out of it. Even more so when she saw the tip of a scar peeking out from above his shirt collar.

She knew there were more beneath the material.

His skin lost some of its tan, due to being underwater for so long and his hair needed a bit of a trim in her opinion, for it brushed over his eyes a little.

Sally sighed, he anger already dissipating. "Come in, Percy."

~~~~

Hamish sighed as the door creaked loudly upon opening. He'd already known the moment they left that they'd get caught, but keeping an eye on Lyla was more important. Especially when the person she was chasing was the most needed piece of the puzzle.

Lyla however, thought she could get away with sneaking out. That's why recoiled so much when their leader stood in the center of the room, foot tapping angrily.

"Where have you two been!?" She demanded, voice full of anger.

"Sorry, Boss." Lyla said in a small voice, grinding her foot into the ground and avoiding eye contact.

Each and every one of this group respected their leader. The six kids that made the group other than her were all grateful for her existence. They'd all been street kids or lived in places with neglected childhoods. She had found them and picked them up. She was largely called 'Boss'. Few didn't. In fact, not a single one knew her actual name. When she introduced herself the girl had called herself 'Adamantine'.

Not a single person believed that was her true name. Whenever somebody brought it up, she said, "Adamantine is a rare, supposedly unbreakable element mentioned frequently in Greek mythology. I think it suits me perfectly right now. My resolve will not break. We will save this world."

"I didn't ask for an apology, I asked what you were doing." Both Lyla and Hamish knew she knew. She was just like that, as if she were Athena herself.