Chapter Five

Despite his own stubborn disposition on being used as a pawn of the gods once again, Percy was well aware of what he had to do. He wasn't to be shoved in a lab, or a weapons-building facility like many other demigods sent before him. He was to be working with a mortal group known as the 'Avengers'. His identity as a demigod was to be kept secret, though his status as an official prince was to be known by the heroes. Thus Percy was not permitted to use his powers unless the correct situation called for it.

What a pain.

Of course, Percy was still well off without his powers, and Riptide was still allowed to be used...

After much debate...

A child of both Aphrodite and Athena were to greet him and accompany him to the base of the Avengers.

It was odd, to say the least, being out of the water after four years. The pressure of being under so much water for so long was finally released and Percy found his hearing to be far more sensitive now. He'd grown accustomed to the quieter environment of Poseidon's palace. Visits to the surface were rare during his time in training. Percy found himself missing, almost craving the natural feel of water against his skin.

"Prince Perseus." A blonde boy nodded his head in respect to Percy.

Percy still felt awkward about being called 'Prince' or 'Lord', and that would never change.

"Percy or Perseus is fine." Percy said, a slight cringe in his voice.

"Ah, yes, of course. I'm Jamie, son of Athena and this is Valentina, daughter of Aphrodite." The blonde introduced. He was clearly younger and more nervous than Valentina, whom Percy recognized. She was clearly refraining from speaking, attempting to hold an air of professionalism.

"You are allowed to speak you know. I do remember you from Camp." He offered the best smile he could. Percy hadn't really known her during his time at Camp Half-Blood.

"It's nice to see you again, Percy!" She grinned. "Okay, so, you're going to be working with the Avengers, who, for the record, have some pretty interesting members. We'll take you up now if you're ready!" She was chipper, as always.

As they started towards their destination, small talk appeared.

"What's your role within SHIELD?" Percy asked curiously.

"I'm a costume designer. I get to help design what the suits would look like and provide ideas on what they should do. It's amazing to get to work with Natasha, she's one of the Avengers. She has some really good feedback, and I'm rambling now." She trailed off awkwardly.

Jamie seemed taken aback by how comfortable Valentina was with talking to Percy.

"What about you, Jamie?"

The blonde decided to keep his answer short. "Secretary."

Finally, they reached the building. "Oh! Almost forgot!" Valentina pulled something out of her satchel and placed it on Percy's head.

He blinked owlishly. "What-"

"It's a crown." Percy fell silent.

"Why?" He demanded.

"Why not?" She responded obliviously.

"The Olympians want your status to be known. It's a power play more than likely." Jamie spoke up quietly.

Percy felt like a puppet being controlled by strings, but clenched his teeth and focused more on not ripping the bloody thing off his head. He hated being shown how powerful he was because it made him feel all the more useless.

What good was such power if he couldn't save those who mattered most?

"You must be Prince Perseus." A friendly voice welcomed the trio into the crowded lobby.

"Uh, yes." Act dignified. You've been ordered to act dignified. Percy reminded himself.

"I'm Pepper Potts. A pleasure to meet you. Thank you, you two for escorting His Highness here." With her dismissal, they left.

Screw what the god's wanted. He was at least being called something he was comfortable with.

"Please, just call me Percy or Perseus. I'm not really into the whole 'titles' thing."

Percy could tell she was reluctant about it, but agreed nonetheless, most likely due to his status and following his wishes.

He's going to have to explain this to everyone he comes across, isn't he?

~~~~

So this went... nowhere. Anyway, meet the team next chapter!

Man, it feels so good to update at night again. I get like, writing withdrawals or something I swear 😂

**EDITED**

Peace,

BTSWD
Borntosingwithdrama