DIE ANOTHER DEATH: CHAPTER 18

CHAPTER 18:-

                        ==============

  “What?” I was flabbergasted by the girl’s claim.

  “Yes, I’m your girlfriend. You don’t remember me, your beloved Roxy?” she searched my confused eyes for a flicker of recognition.

   The entire conference room came to a standstill. A numbing silence followed the girl’s statement.

  Conflicting emotions were flooding through me. On one hand, there was an immense sense of relief that here was someone at last who knew me, and was my girlfriend no less; but on the other hand, the complete absence of any recognition whatsoever was really aggravating. Here was someone claiming to be my girlfriend and I didn’t recognize her at all. No part of me felt a great sense of happiness on seeing Roxanne Stewart- my purported girlfriend.

  My memories were playing truant with me again.

  I just keep hoping that all the mysteries would get solved as the ticker of my present life ran on along its predestined course. But at the rate they keep cropping up, I am not sure if there is any clarity at all in the equation- the whole scheme of things.

  Someone up there is perhaps allergic to my happiness, well-being, interests- whatever one might call the same. This was a particularly bad case. Such a pretty girl was claiming to be my girlfriend and I couldn’t even recollect her face. The emotional connect was missing.

  I wanted to shout and scream just one line- It’s so bloody unfair!

  Roxanne kissed me twice on the lips without batting an eyelash before I could disengage her arms from round my neck. She tried to kiss me again, but I held her tight at arm’s length.

  “Um, Roxanne? I know you’re very happy to see me safe and sound, and I’m absolutely thrilled and relieved to see you; but the thing is, I’ve kinda gone amnesiac. I don’t remember you or anybody else. So as long as I don’t regain some of my memory, I don’t think I’ll be comfortable with you kissing me,” I said haltingly. “But.....but,” I continued, palms facing forwards, “you should know that it’s hard for me, when at the moment I simply crave for someone near and dear, someone familiar to hold, speak and listen to.”

  “Is that all, honey? Oh, I’ve been so afraid all this time, thought I had lost you. But now you’re here, I’m the happiest girl in the world!” exclaimed Roxanne, stroking my cheek. “I’m here for you, baby, and together we’ll get over this loss of memory. Don’t you worry, Roxy’s here to help you get back your memories.”

  She sat me down back on the mat and plonked herself beside me. The curious refugees crowded in, eagerly awaiting my story from Roxanne, my cutie-pie ‘girlfriend’. There seemed to be a lot of interest about me among them, wanting to know who this late-comer was, where I lived and how I had managed to survive out there in hostile conditions all this time. Jason sat cross-legged in front of me- a child hoping for a fabulous story.

  “Your name is William Robert Anderson. Your father is Col. Robert Anderson of the U.S. Marines. Joanna Anderson’s your mother. You’ve a sister, Brianna. She’s your twin.” I thought I detected a faint scowl on her pretty face when she spoke of my sister. “You’ve been living on Grosvenor Street since you’re twelve years old after your father was transferred here from Florida. He worked at the Jefferson Research centre on some government-sanctioned job. I never got it right about what his actual job was and you never knew yourself. Moving on, we grew up together...,”