08 | Jack Kline x Reader

Start from the beginning

Suddenly, a large bang knocks you out of your thoughts and back into reality. You eyes drifts from Jack for a moment, tracing the abrupt sound. At first, you thought the fight may have stopped by the sound of the car breaking down, but after further investigation, you linked the sound to the steering wheel. Dean's knuckles turned ghostly white, as his grip tightened around it.

Each time Sam fought back, Dean would hit the top of the steering wheel, trying to release some of his bottled up anger. This was usual of him, but you were a little shaken at how loud it was this time.

Dean must be really pissed.

Sam seems to notice it too, as you catch a sudden look of fear in your brother's brown eyes. A shock that you had only saw him give once before when Dean was possessed by the Mark of Cain. You could cut the tension in the car with a knife, as a moment of silence entered the Impala. The only audible sound being the soft hum of the rubber tires rolling against the rough road. Nevertheless, Sam was reluctant and swiftly bounced back from his brother's attitude.

Soon they were at each other's throats again, while you rolled your eyes and turned your attention to Jack once more.

Surprisingly, Dean's sudden outburst didn't seem the faze him. He was placed in the same position, only this time he seemed to be a little closer to you. With cautious movement, you scoot next to him, hoping to be something of comfort for the boy. For you knew what happened if he got too scared.

"Jack," you whisper softly, trying not to spook him.

There is no response at first, only a slight rise of his head, as he catches a quick glance at the still angry Dean. It's in that moment, you realize what he was so afraid of. Dean must have told him not to talk to you and based off the looks Jack received through the rearview mirror every time he even tried to look at you, you were surprised he even had the courage to breathe.

Sighing slightly, you looked over to your brothers once more. They were still going at it, each saying things you knew they didn't mean. Again, you wanted to interject, but something told you that Jack needed you more. So, you curl a bit closer to him, resting your hand on his, in a friendly and apologetic way.

At this contact, he lifts his head even more, revealing a very confused look on his face. Smiling warmly, you lean in slowly to whisper. "It's called hand holding. You do it as a sign of comfort."

Slowly, a sweet smile spreads across his face. His hand interlocking with yours, making you blush a little. "I like hand-holding," he whispers happily. Despite yourself, you giggle slightly, but not enough for either of your brothers to notice. However, Jack was fascinated and almost enchanted by your soft laugh. He liked the feeling of making you happy. He didn't exactly know why, but it still felt good.

"I like your laugh." At this comment, you blush a little more. The blood rushing to your cheeks as his grip on your hand tightens a little. "It's- It's-"

"Nice?"

He ponders for a moment, the word bouncing around his head until finally, he shakes it away. "No. That's not the word I'm looking for."

"Cute," you said, with a little hesitation.

Suddenly, that smile that you had come to like so much in the past few minutes returns to his face. "Cute." The word dances on his tongue for the first time, making him blush. "Cute. Yeah, it's cute."

"Well, thank you," you whisper back, a permit smile now stuck on your face.

You continue like this, for the next few miles. Hand in hand as you sit in comfortable silence as you watched the disagreement get even more heated in front of you. They were basically screaming at this point. About what exactly? You couldn't really tell, but you knew this was now something way more than just Jack. Something else was bothering Dean, you just couldn't put your finger on it.