Chapter 43

Betty's P.O.V.

the lies.
the marriage.
the rape.
the love.
the parents.
the serpents.
the cutting.
the small amount of happiness.
the hate.
the love of my life.
the pretending.
the twins.
the breakups.
the kisses and hugs.
it was all circling my head. everything. and i couldn't stop it.
i was laying next to my fiancé still asleep with all the good and the bad things replaying in my head.
it was like falling down a hole of terrible memories that i couldn't take anymore, but i needed to be able to.
i finally wake up and stare at the white ceiling as i let a few tears escape from my eyes.
"what is it, baby?" i head jughead ask making me turn my head to face him.
"everything." i replied.
i sigh as he wipes my tears with his thumb.
"do you want to talk about it?" he asked sitting up on the frame of the bed.
"i don't know. i'm having the thoughts of hurting myself again, but i know i need to be strong for the twins and you." i responded sitting up as well.
"what is it that's bothering you?" he questioned.
"literally everything that's happened. my life's been like a roller coaster, but it's mostly downs." i told him looking at my hands in my lap.
"can i do anything to help?" he asked.
"you've already helped me so much." i smiled softly looking up at him. "but this time, there's really nothing you can do, it's all in the past."
the twins started crying again, so we went to go get them. i picked up skye and jughead got xavier.
"do you think they will turn out to self harm and be a monster like me?" i asked as skye grabbed ahold of my fingers.
"betty, you're not a monster and i can't answer that, but they'd get through it, just like their strong mother." he replied.
i just sighed and sat down in the rocking chair.
"we still have to figure out wedding plans." i told him rocking back in forth in the chair.
"i know. just promise me you won't overdue yourself and you'll take it slow, okay?" he said.
"i know, i promise, but you have to promise me to stop being so protective." i replied.
"i worry about you." he responded moving xavier to his other shoulder.
"i know, i know you do." i said standing up.
i lightly kissed his cheek before heading into the kitchen to make coffee. we put the twins in their high chairs and i started looking through wedding ideas on my laptop as the coffee brewed.
"i don't want to do something super big and overwhelming just because i don't want to freak out and ditch." i told him.
"we can just do something small then." he smiled.
a few hours later, i was sitting on the couch in our house with my legs over jughead's lap working on my end-of-the-year essay for school.
"what's the prompt for your essay?" he asked making me look from my laptop.
"to write about something real, like a story or something." i replied.
"what's your story about?" he questioned.
"um, just everything that's happened in the past few years of my life." i responded. "it's pretty real, so."
"can i read it after?" he asked.
"i mean, it's just a school project, but you can if you want." i told him.
"great, i can't wait to read it." he smiled rubbing my knee gently.
i smiled gently back and looked back at my laptop to continue typing.
after i had finished typing for the night, jughead went to the store and i was holding the twins in the rocking chair.
"hey, baby, i'm back!" i heard jughead call once he got back from the store.
"coming, one second!" i called back putting the twins down in their crib.
i went into the kitchen and as he was putting the groceries away, i got a call from a number i didn't know.
"hello?" i said as i answered the phone.
"this is betty, right?" the person asked.
i thought about who's voice that was for a second, then it hit me.
"who is it?" jughead asked.
"no one, it's just an old friend." i lied. "i'll be right back."
i went into the bedroom and closed the door.
"mom?" i questioned.
"oh, betty, i haven't heard from you in months." she replied.
"um, yeah, i know. a lot has happened since we last talked." i told her.
"who was that you were talking to?" she asked.
"oh, that was just someone." i responded. "sorry, but is there a reason you called?"
"yes, i wanted to know if you knew about your father passing away." she said.
"oh, yes, i heard. um, i'm trying to avoid that topic because, uh, never mind." i replied.
"how are you doing, elizabeth?" she asked.
"i've been better, a lot of things have changed." i responded.
"i know i haven't been the best mother, but i want to be a part of your life." she said.
"i'm all about second chances, mom, but if you're here to play games or mess with my life, then please stay out of it." i told her. "i'm not explaining, but too much has happened recently."
"elizabeth, i just want to be a part of my daughters life." she replied sounding honest.
"then i can text you the address to my house, but you need to know i don't live alone." i told her.
"that would be great. who do you live with?" she asked.
"oh, a friend and two kids." i replied scared to use the word fiancé or my kids.
"that's wonderful, i'll let you know when i can come up." she said.
i hung up and jughead was standing by the door looking upset.
"oh, hey." i said nervously.
"who was that?" he asked.
"my mom." i sighed knowing he wasn't going to buy the 'just a friend'.
"so i'm just a friend, not your fiancé?" he asked seeming upset.
"jughead, it's not like that." i told him walking around him and heading into the kitchen.
"okay, then what is it, betty?" he asked following me into the kitchen. "because every person i've introduced you to, it's been girlfriend and now fiancé."
i turned around and looked at him as he stood on the other side of the island.
"it's that it's my mom, jughead, i will tell her when she comes. it's just, everything has to be up to her standards and you said it yourself, we had kids really early." i replied.
"am i not up to standards or something?" he asked.
"jesus, jughead, that's not what it is. you are more than my standards, but you and i are so alike and i never met her standards, so having twins and getting married, that's going to set her off the edge." i responded getting upset that he was so mad.
"when is she coming?" he asked seeming to calm down a little.
"i'm not sure, once i send her the address." i replied.
"okay." he said. "sorry for snapping, it's just—."
"no, no, no, you don't have to apologize. i've snapped at you way to many times." i interrupted.
he nodded and we both smiled.
"can i have a hug?" i asked smiling stupidly.
"yeah." he laughed pulling me over to him.
he embraced me in his arms and kissed the top of my head gently making me smile.

(AN: sorry i haven't updated in forever! thank you guys so much for 10k reads!! i love you all! 💞💕❤️)