Chapter Twenty-Nine

Start from the beginning

"Also, it means the portal can open as wide and stay open as long as Loki wants." He continued as he walked to the computer monitors that controlled the helicarrier. He then began giving orders to the agents who then gave him strange looks. "That man is playing Galaga!" He suddenly called out as he pointed to an innocent and embarrassed agent. I looked at the guy and by the color of his face, he was extremely embarrassed. "He thought we wouldn't notice...but we did."

I watched as he placed a hand over his eye and looked at the monitors. "How does Fury even see these?" Tony asked Agent Hill.

"He turns." I looked at Steve.

"Do you remember Howard ever being like that?" I asked him. He shook his head. "He's a bit disrespectful. Maybe I should roughen him up a bit?" I suggested. He smiled slightly.

"Is it wrong if I say I'd like to see that?" He asked. I chuckled lightly but quickly stopped when I heard Tony's voice raise.

"Am I the only one who did the reading?" He asked us. I cleared my throat and tried to keep my mind on the mission.

"Does Loki need any particular kind of power source?" Steve asked. Seems like he was listening, unlike me. He's such a distraction in my work.

"He would have to heat the cube to 120-million Kelvin, just to break through the Coulomb barrier." Bruce said.

"Unless, Selvig has figured out how to stabilize the quantum tunneling effect," Tony said as he began walking toward Bruce.

"Well, if he can achieve that, then he could achieve heavy ion fusion at any reactor on the planet." He said. Tony held his arm out and smiled slightly.

"Finally, someone who speaks English," he praised. I furrowed my brows and looked at Steve.

"Is that what just happened?" I asked him. He shrugged his shoulders, just as confused as me. Sometimes, the time differences and the huge barriers on knowledge can really hurt the communication around here.

"Dr. Banner is only here to track the cube." Fury said as he walked into the room. "I was hoping you might join him." He said to Tony.

"I would start with that stick of his. It may be magical, but it works an awful lot like a Hydra weapon." Steve pointed out. I nodded my head in agreement.

"I don't know about that, but it is powered by the cube. And I would like to know how Loki used it to turn two of the sharpest men I know into his personal flying monkeys." Fury said.

"Monkeys? I do not understand." Thor said, confused by the reference.

"I do!" Steve and I both said in unison. Steve looked back at Bruce and Tony. "We understood that reference," Steve happily said. Tony had a look of annoyance and then excused him and Bruce down to the lab. After that, everyone basically went their own ways, and Steve and I decided to explore the helicarrier.

"How are you holding up?" He asked me. I furrowed my brows.

"What do you mean?" I asked him.

"When you and Loki were fighting. You seemed to take a pretty bad beating." He said. I didn't even think about that. Though I was able to still get him a few times, his hits seemed much stronger than mine, and pretty aggressive if you ask me.

"I'm fine, I'm just not so sure about this whole thing. I mean, an army from outer space? I could handle Hydra with ease, but we're dealing with aliens now." I sighed in frustration. Steve stopped walking and he faced me.

"I've never once heard you worry about a mission...is there something wrong?" He asked me. I sighed lightly and shook my head.

"I'm just...overwhelmed. That's all." I told him.

"By what?" He asked. I felt a lump form in my throat and didn't speak. He then took my hands in his, and looked into my eyes. His eyes softened as they showed concern. "What's bothering you?" He asked, sounding concerned. I noticed a few agents passing by us, so I pulled him into a nearby empty room, allowing us to be alone. I nervously bit my lip.

"Well...with things I've encountered since we came out of the ice. I thought everyone was gone, but it turned out that my mother is still alive. But...for how much longer? I've missed so much time, and I can never get it back." I said as I felt the lump in my throat grow. "It's just... too overwhelming for me. I try to be happy, but I can't. seeing her just reminds me of all the time I've missed...and it's torturous, Steve."

He then pulled me into a hug, and I buried my head into his chest. His arms wrapped around my back and waist as he held me close to him, as comfort. "I don't know why I'm so emotional. I hate it." I said, my voice muffled by his chest. He slightly chuckled as he slowly ran his fingers through my hair.

"I'm sure things will get better. Just focus on one thing at a time." He suggested. I nodded my head in his chest. I could always count on him for comfort. God, how could I be so lucky to have him?