Chapter Thirty - Eight: "The Race Against The Timer"

"Allison, take Jackson and go. We are running out of time. Its eight minutes fifty-five seconds remaining. You two have Lauren to think about so take him and go home. When Lydia sees that Jackson is not here, she will assume you chose to leave me behind. Please go. Hurry! More seconds we waste the more we lose Allison. Go!" Derek said still sitting in the squared space.

With only seven minutes and fifty seconds remaining, Allison chose to save Jackson first then planned to come back for Derek, but before she picked up Jackson and put his left arm over her shoulder, she whispered something into Derek left ear and Derek looked surprised when he heard what she said to him.

"Come on Jackson. We're leaving." She started walking towards the door with him limping alongside her dragging his right leg along, Jackson looked back at Derek and wondered why he was getting out with Allison. He knew there were only seven minutes forty seconds to go on timer.

Jackson heard Derek whisper, 'Allison, keep going please don't come back the building just go home and be with your daughter.' when they were at the door.

Derek started limp crawling towards the door, "I can't let Allison do this to herself. This is partly my fault. I have to try and make things right between us if it's the last thing I do."

He stopped at the door to catch his breath. He looked in the direction Jackson and Allison went in but he could see them. He only heard Jackson breathing slightly heavily as they were walking down the stairs. "I'll save her and our marriage. I am her husband after all. And even though I don't like Jackson. I can't let Lauren grow up without her real Dad. Every child needs both their parents in their lives and Lauren is no expectation." He looked back at the timer and saw that it turned to six minutes and fifty-nine seconds.

He realised had seven minutes before the building went up in piece along with Allison and Jackson.

"Allison, hurry up and get out! You have seven minutes!" He shouted while leaning on the door.

"I hope they're least on the second floor by now least. I'm going to find Lydia and end this. I'm going keep her in the building. I know she's lurking here somewhere just waiting for Allison to make her decision. She's going to get a shock of her life when she sees me with a gun in her gun as a pull the trigger." Derek turning in the other direction, carried on limping in the dark to find Lydia with the walls for his support while Allison and Jackson escape and as the timer continued counting down in the room.

He realised that he could navigate through his condition without someone helping him so he went back to the where the light was, "Lydia! Lydia! Lydia!" Derek shouted against the door trying to draw her attention to him, "Come on out Lydia! It's over Allison made her decision." He looked to left of him then to right then saw a light coming towards him, getting closer and closer to him, "L-Lydia is that you?"

"Yes, Derek it's me." She answered putting up the flashlight to her face revealing her grin then hitting him in the stomach with her flashlight and throwing him back into the room on his back.

"So I see she chose Jackson. She chose baby daddy over you Derek but she left you alive. Well that's not right I left her gun to kill one and save the other but she chose not to do so. Do you know that is Derek...because she still loves you how sad? Now I'm going end your live for her." Lydia pulled out her gun and aim it Derek's head.

"Wait, what about the timer? The bomb will kill you even if you do kill me and Allison is not I'm the building anymore so you lose again." He said smiling.

"Oh this bomb here?" She asked pointing at it, "Yeah it's a fake timer."

"What?!"

"Hey don't get me wrong, the explosives are real but it wasn't linked to the timer. The timer was only here to make Allison choice quickly between the two of you then to save the one she left behind to put a bullet right between the eyes. It was that simply but here we are again. Allison chose you to live unknowingly but still she made her decision and left you behind alive. Still kicking very much not dead..."

"Okay I get that but she didn't chose me because she not coming back. Because the timer... There's two minutes left on it and Allison and Jackson are probably on the ground floor now walking away."

"Yeah and what do you think she's going to do when she does see the building crumbling with you inside. Care to take a guess?"

"She'll run back into the building to save me." Derek said hanging his head down in shame.

"Correct." She said with a slow clap.

"Dammit she's walking into the trap you set for her. You said yourself. You wanted her to suffer first. Playing these mind games with us." Derek stood up on his feet, "With me! I'm going to kill you! You evil manipulative little bitch!"

Pull her gun on him, "You think you're in control here. Don't forget who has the power here Sweetheart."

She glanced at the timer, "Huhmmm, time is almost over ten seconds left. Countdown with me Derek."

She said smiling, "Seven, six, five, four, three, two, one. Kabomb!"

She looked at him, "See no explosion. Allison will be wondering what went wrong."