Selective memories

Hae-ju

" Hey, I'll be right back, I need to go stop by somewhere, anything I need to pick up to comfort your parents?" I asked while I helped Dalnim clean about.

" Any good wine, my parents love wine the older the better." She chimed.

" sounds good." I answered as I placed on a coat.

" Ah, wait I'll go get the money!" She called after me while I reached the door.

" I'd just give you back your money." I reminded her, as I adjusted my coat collar in amusement. I walked over to her and kissed her forehead, after a few minutes of taking in her reaction.

She blinked a gaze at me then watched me walk away.

Once I got into the car I drove over to the hospital. Upon parking my car I watched as
A familiar face walked inside the hospital doors.

"Ju-won." I thought to myself, to my dismay stood aside my father, they looked about and spoke about something before my father disappeared back towards his car, leaving Ju-won in the parking lot looking after my fathers' car, he gave a soft scoff and lit up a cigarette. I adjusted my stance and began walking towards the hospital doors.

From to corner of his eyes I watched Ju-won follow my feet with his eyes until I walked pass him and into the hospital.

" We can't even exchange greetings anymore? My heart is broken, Hae-ju." He called out with a chuckle. He pressed his hand on his chest and faked a weep.

"You should keep smoking." I responded back to him I glanced at him, insinuating that fair line of death that he should meet from smoking, then turned back in my childishness and was on my way.

I took steps towards my mother's room where a soft hinderance out of fear spoke to me. I reached out and grabbed onto the door handle released my grip then did it once more.

I walked in to the sight of my mother in her bed, her body faced toward the door as if she fell asleep waiting for someone.

Her hair was all about as some of the pieces in her ponytail escaped to cover her face. Her skin was a bit fresher than my last visit which soothes my heart. " I'm sorry I haven't been here more often Eomma." I spoke to her.

Her eyes closed as her fists sat over one another not too far from her head which rested onto the pillow, left fist over her right.

I stuck out my hand and caressed the run way strands of hair on her face away and guided them behind her ear. " You have such a sad human for a son, Eomma forgive me, I seemed to forget coming to see you after I lost taste of being lonely." I said as I stared at the woman before me.

I looked about and found nothing to sit on so I crossed my legs over one another as I rested onto the ground. The wind from the small window that was allowed in her room blew little wind but just enough to cause her to shiver in her sleep.

I pulled the blanket tighter onto her then took off my coat and rested it over her. " Do you miss me?" I asked her as I placed my hands onto her palms, slowly opening up her fist. I curled up her fingers around my hand and silently stared.

" What a world it's become that, a child should become the one to watch over his mother, but mother... I can't help but thank you for preparing me, the one that took my attention away for a moment seems to be the one that makes me understand you more. " I chuckled.

" I promise I'll start coming by more often, you don't have to fall asleep waiting for someone." I went on.

I gave a small kiss onto her forehead and adjusted myself to get up and leave. " mother, I have to go, now...Next time I'll come when you're awake to see how much more manly your son has become." I said to the sleeping mother as I walked out.