Fears & tears

*** Thank you for reading, please comment your thoughts, don't forget to like and share.***

Mr. Jang directed me towards the parking lot, his hand firm on my back as he guided me through the throngs of people milling about. He disappeared into the crowd, leaving me alone with my thoughts and my phone. I called Hae-ju repeatedly, but there was no answer. As I scanned the parking lot for his car, I noticed something odd - a strange, tense energy in the air. Ju-won kept calling me, but I ignored it, much too preoccupied in finding Hae-ju.

Then I saw it - an accident had taken place just beyond the edge of the parking lot, and now police officers were redirecting traffic away from the scene. The whine of sirens mixed with the sound of honking horns as drivers tried to navigate around the chaos.

My heart picked up as I tried to avoid the panic attack which was already hitting me like a tidal wave. It swept over me, a force of nature that I could not fight. I fought against it and dialed Hae-ju's number yet again, only to jump as I heard his phone ring nearby. I let out a heavy sigh of relief as my shaking fingers finally hit the right combination of buttons and connected with Hae-ju's voicemail for the third time in as many minutes. I bit down on my lower lip to keep from crying and hurried through the intersection, with painful memories flashing through my mind like electricity.

There felt like there was a glimpse of a past accident, on and off like a switch glitching of the reality I saw, and the one in front of me. My mind trying to sensor the situation. A broken tv box placed to replace my sight of what was and what wasn't.

It was only when I walked closer to the intersection that I realized how bad things really were. The glitching continued even more. Like always, on went the scenes of my repressed past, tried to chase of the reality of the accident before me.

" Don't cry little one, eomma will take care of you, always." that tune kept ringing in my ear, but I shook my head ignoring the intense pain I was feeling.

Scenes of happy moments came in and out of place, to overlap the accident before me. There weren't enough to cover the fractured glass glittered in the sunlight, glinting like razor blades underfoot. The cafe across from me was empty, except for a few frightened-looking patrons peering out from behind locked doors.

Still no answer from Hae-ju. Panic gripped me like a vise as I tried his number again, dialing with sweating fingers. And then, finally - a ringing sound nearby. Hope surged through me as I searched frantically for his phone. But despite my efforts, it remained stubbornly silent.

As I continued to search for Hae-jun's phone, a flurry of activity caught my eye. A group of paramedics rushed towards the accident scene, carrying medical equipment and supplies. I hesitated for a moment, unsure if I should follow them or continue searching for Hae-jun.

In the end, the decision was made for me. A voice boomed over a megaphone, instructing all onlookers to leave the area immediately. I was shoved aside by a police officer as he rushed towards the accident site, and I stumbled backward, my phone slipping from my grasp, in the middle of a call to Hae-ju. The sound of his phone ringing sounded alot closer. As I held my breath to try and avoid looking at the scene head.

As I grabbed my phone, careful to avoid the glass pieces it picked up, startled by a shrill ringing sound nearby, I looked around, searching desperately for its source. It was identical to the incessant sound that had been haunting me for what seemed like hours. The ringing grew so loud it sounded as if someone were cutting metal with a set of giant scissors and then dropping handfuls of loose change onto my head. Though I found nothing despite my frantic efforts, the sound persisted, haunting me as it rang through my head. Hope surged through me when I realized that it might be coming from Hae-ju's cell phone. The cross of reality and memory obscured the sound for a moment, I forgot how identical to was to the growing sound of Hae-ju's phone, yet, it also didn't.