Fin 🫶🏿

As I slowly pulled away from my mother's embrace, I noticed that Hae-ju's mother had quietly left the room, giving us some privacy. My mother sat down beside me on the edge of Hae-ju's bed, her hands tightly gripping mine.

"I'm sorry," I said, my voice cracking with emotion. "I'm sorry for everything. For causing you so much pain, for making you worry."

"Shh," my mother interrupted, she held me tighter. Her eyes full of love and understanding. "You don't have to apologize for anything, my child. I've watched you grow up into a strong, caring woman, and I know you did everything you could to help Hae-ju and even..Ae-ra. You couldn't have done anything more."

I leaned my head on her shoulder, the tears still streaming down my face. "I just wish he would wake up," I whispered. "I can't bear to see him like this."

"I know, my love," my mother murmured.

"But you have to stay strong for him. He needs you now more than ever." She stroked my hair gently, soothing me with her touch. "You're his strength, his support. And he'll wake up, you'll see. He's a fighter, just like you."

I nodded, taking comfort in her words. "I hope you're right," I said, wiping my tears with the back of my hand. "I don't think I can bear losing him too."

"You won't lose him," my mother said firmly. "He's going to wake up and he's going to be okay. And we'll all be there to support him, every step of the way."

I smiled weakly. " Thank you, Eomma," I said, grateful for her unwavering love and support.

"Always, my child," she said, squeezing my hand.

Days passed and Hae-ju remained in a coma. I spent most of my days in the hospital, waiting for him to wake up, praying that he would. But each day that passed, my hope waned and despair set in.

I sat beside him, holding his hand, talking to him endlessly... But he never responded, never even stirred.

Over the course of three months, my days continued to take a familiar rhythm. I would leave the hospital in the morning, after giving Hae-Ju his daily kiss. Despite knowing he wouldn't respond, I talked to him while brushing my fingers through his hair, taking a moment to feel connected to him.

I gradually took on more and more responsibilities at the company, attending meetings, monitoring projects' progress, and discussing the business's future with my colleagues. The day would fly by, and soon it was time for me to go back to the hospital. Then I'd make my way to the market to pick up fresh ingredients for our dinner. Even though he wouldn't eat it, the thought of what he'd think was comforting enough. Ju-won often stopped by to take it as his own anyways.

Sometimes, after cooking, I'd walk back to the hospital and sit with Hae-Ju while, watching the sun dip below the horizon, until the stars and the cicadas filled the night sky.

Despite the fact that Hae-Ju had been in a coma since the accident, his mother and I held on to our faith that he would wake up soon. I followed suit, filling his still body with updates on the day, hoping my words would reach him, wherever he was. Almost like I was whispering my secrets in his ear, making him feel more alert and in tune with everything that had passed, while he slept. At times I would place my hand over his heart, feeling the gentle beat underneath like a silent promise that he would soon be back. The thought sustained me as I made my way back home.

While I felt proud to be part of the team, at work I felt guilty and sad that Hae-Ju was missing out on such an opportunity. Hae-Ju's mother accompanied me to most of the meetings. We thought of him constantly, wondering what he would think of our decisions and if he was still listening.