Darling, Don't Remember

Dalnim pov

" Don't cry little one, eomma will take care of you, always." Those were the words of my mother, for as long as I could remember, she was consistently using words of kindness to put me at ease, something only she did best.

I sipped my ginger tea, then after, with my fingertips, I circled the rim of the cup thinking about the words of my mother, till my older sister walked by picking up the cup to use for her own.The heat from the warm water trickled down the cup, while I placed my head down onto the table to stare amused by the slightest things.

" So will you be allowing me to sleep on your couch now and then?" Yoo-Ri asked me as she leaned onto the table with a grin on her face. I looked at her and nodded my head with a smile on my face, as she pinched my oak brown cheeks like a grandmother would a child.

" Aigoo, Yoo-Riyah, are you not embarrassed for yourself? Asking such a thing? You are older than Dalnim, and still, she is moving out on her own before you. " My father said as he was watching the news.

Everyone in the house began to bicker amongst themselves about me, as they compared Yoo-Ri to me. The funny thing was, I was the last to partake in the conversation itself. Rather than repeat the argument my parents had with my sister I glanced outside.

The impatient sun was already shining through the clouds in the early morning, overtaking the light of the moon that was once in the sky. The sun was stretching out early morning rays, as they marbleized the sky in a soft hue of gold. While in a trance of its beauty I felt the soft touch of my mother at my right shoulder.

" The drive to Seoul isn't too far, but you should start heading out there if you don't want to get stuck in the work rush traffic. " My mother said as she wrapped and unwrapped her small, pale hands with the hem of her long ocean-hued skirt trying to suppress her anxiety of seeing me leave, as much as she acted as if she was prepared, I knew she wasnt...neither was I.

" When oppa comes from work tell him I left his gift on his nightstand, eomma. " I told my mother as I felt the need to look away, for the sake to avoid the soft cunning stare of hers that would only result in a trail of tears from me as well.

" My Dalnim is all grown up, our little moonlight." She cooed as she gave me a warm embrace, patting and feeling my face she got more emotional, causing her to change the topic the best she knew how. It seemed at that moment my father and sister also took after her actions, tightly hugging me not to go.

After twenty minutes or so the step towards my new life was made. I walked out of the only home I knew and was now headed towards my new one. I Dalnim Kim-Amani was finally getting outside the warm walls of Busan and my fortress of comfort.

The walk to the bus stop was a familiar one that always caused my heart to flutter, as the fruit market lady down the road peeked out her window and called out my name. " Dalnim, make us proud. " She shouted, as her daughter who was getting the mail raced back inside after giving me a quick hug.

"Ye, Adjuma." I humbly answered with a smile and a wave. From there the path was similar, with best wishes from neighbors. It was never so much that the town I grew up in was small,  that made it seem as if I was so popular among the neighborhood, rather it was because I was so hard to miss. From my dark skin of golden ink to my wild curls, my unique figure of curves.

I stood out even more when, the fact of the matter was, that out of everyone one in my family it was just I who looked the way I did. Everyone else was pure Korean, as for me an African girl from the west coast, with a sad story no longer worth repeating after all these years.

Regardless, that was all in the past now, I was going to become someone new, and I have been granted the chance to do so. The happy feeling of possible achievement that was once vacant was now filled by the fulfilling position I would soon have in the midst of my fingers once I reached Seoul.