Facing a titan

Dalnim

"I'm sorry," I whispered. "That was kind of harsh," I said, referring to speaking to Mister Jang like a child on punishment.

"It's-" he began, but I cut him off.

"It's justified, I don't regret it. I think I just feel overdone telling you to sit up like you're a child. I just don't wish to speak to you like that, despite my dislike for you in this moment," I told him.

He nodded, his eyes never leaving the papers in front of him. He slid over some documents my way to look over.

"So... you're telling me my parents' money has been funding this company all this time?" I asked, my voice barely above a whisper.

He nodded and placed down some company accounts, some of the false documentations that had kept the money log books looking clean.

Hae-ju and I looked at one another, our eyes meeting for a moment. For a glimpse, there was an ease. The move forward would be worth it if we just played it appropriately. We were caught up on what it would now mean for Hae-ju to be a shareholder, me taking over my parents' account.

"Everything has to be done smoothly," Mister Jang said. "It'll take about a week to fully secure things. Keep sure for no leaking areas."

"The day you arrive, there will be a reporter doing a story on the company for an annual charity event proposal. You need to sit in on the meeting. Wait for your turn to speak."

"Speak?" I asked, feeling the nerves start to set in.

Mr. Jang nodded his head.

"You are going to get the chance to speak as 'Kang Hee-Joo,'" Mister Kang pointed to a picture and a file. He slid it over as he continued to speak.

"You are going to be exchanging emails, posing interest in investing into the company. Just like these documents were falsified to keep your parents' money pumping his cash flow, we will arrange something similar. Your parents' money will be placed in a separate bank account, after the ownership transfer is successful."

"Okay, so who is this Kang-Hee-Joo? That name seems familiar," I said, trying to wrap my head around everything.

"Kang-Hee-Joo is an investor the chairman has been trying to get. She's currently out of the country. We got permission to use her information for this. She will reach out to the chairman about considering a partnership. Talk on the phone with him a few times to ensure that it's 'her.' Then propose using email, that's where you come in. By that time, she has already arranged to meet in person in a few weeks - the day of the charity proposal to announce her involvement with the company."

"I'm confused," I admitted. "To make sure I have everything... I'll be pretending to be an investor."

"Yes," Mister Jang confirmed.

" and you say that this investor knows?" I asked, feeling a bit uneasy about the whole thing.

"Yes," he said. "It will be okay since the real Kang Hee-Joo will also participate just enough to reassure him, and she will ask him to email exchange any further communications. Those will be directed to you."

"Okay, I understand," I said, feeling a bit more confident.

" You two should work on things amongst yourself and....ask for assistance when you need it please." He asked.

As the conversation with Mister Jang came to an end, Hae-Ju and I nodded in understanding. The older man apologized once more before leaving for the evening.

"Are you feeling any better?" Hae-Ju asked, his voice soft and concerned.

I replied with a nod as I cleared the kitchen sink of cups, and peered into the fridge before ultimately walking away from it, uninterested in its contents.