Likeness

Dalmin

The sunlight glowed through the window, reflecting itself on the iciness of the snow as it laid outside on the corners of the window. I tapped down down from inside the room, while watching him lay and rest.  Had I been acting a fool to bring him here? His father might've been keeping an eye out. Even still had I underestimated the complexity of our relationship and its possible outcomes. My fingers played with my bottom lip lost in deep thought about all that was occurring. My mother would be leaving to go back home because of my father's work. I had already kept my mother here so often, with my life troubles. As grateful I was for them there was a hardship in accepting the reality that all this was a disturbance for everyone. 

My thoughts were shattered at the entrance of my mother, she knocked on the door slightly and slowly pushed it out. Waved to me with a smile. She gestured for me to go wash my face and I stood up to do so as she spoke to Hae-ju.

" Are you hungry?" My mother asked him. He slowly came out of sleep and slightly surprised looked around the room. I waved to him from the bathroom and my mother set the food onto the nightstand. " Well, you probably are I'm going to take your silence as a yes." He bowed his head and smiled.

She patted his back and walked out the door closing it behind her.

" I had morning breath." He said.

I spit out my toothpaste and finished up. " Yea she probably would've passed out thank you for sparing her." I teased. He smiled alittle and walked over to get himself ready. I took a taste of his porridge and walked out to embrace my mother.

" Where mine?" I asked hugging her waist. She laughed at my childishness and pointed to the fridge. " Omo... why are you being so clingy." She chuckled trying to remove my hands but I placed them right back.

Hiding my face onto her back. " Because, I'm so lucky... he's probably never experienced something like that. You're so kind, I know my mom personally chose you guys to look after me, and you've done such a good job. I'm just grateful, eomma." I said letting a tear out onto the back of her shirt.

There was some silence.

" I charge 10000 wons for laundry, since you want to ruin my clothes." She said trying to make me laugh. She reached her arms back and gestured me from behind, to standing in front of her.

She cupped my chin with her right hand, her thumb and pointer finger securing my chin, and kissed my forehead. " There's not a day, I'm not so grateful to be your mother, you make me proud."

We had a moment. The snow was falling gently outside, a stark contrast to the warmth inside the home. The living room was bright and airy, the sun filtering through the windows, lending an ethereal feel to the moment.

I wrapped her arms around my mother's waist, a feeling of gratefulness and love radiating from her heart. Through the embrace, the flutter of sunlight graced the melanin on my skin and was illuminated in the warm light of the sun.

The hug lingered for what seemed like an eternity, a silent exchange of understanding and appreciation. We, both mother and daughter knew how much they meant to each other, and this moment was a testament to that bond. It was even more valuable as I realized how the one I cared for didn't have that luxury.

" It was delicious thank you." Hae-ju said as he placed the bowl in the sink and began to wash it.
" No problem." My mother said with a smile.

" I trust that you two will be safe." My mother said to us.

I nodded my head.

" Everything is packed eomma." My brother walked in saying. He paused for a moment and took a glimpse at Hae-ju. I watched as Hae-ju took in a sigh and after a minute or two he called out to my brother.