silly memories

Kim Hae-Ju

The following morning into work, I was surprised by the sight of files on my desk, all cases completed as they should. To the side sat a letter addressed to me.

I can't say I am sorry for being truthful, but I do apologize for leaving at random. Everything has been done that I have been asked to do. - Dalnim

Before I could make up my mind of what to say, Ae-Ra came in the room with a smile on her face. In a rush, I wrinkled up the note and placed it in my pant pocket, before giving Ae-Ra my attention

" Oppa!" She cheered with a letter in her hand.

" You are looking at a designer for the light festival next weekend, of course, there are other designers but I, Me, agh jinja oppa I can't believe I made it. " She went on. I couldn't help but smile along as a reflection of the joy she released.

" My Ae-Ra I knew you could do it, you were always a smart one, you were always creative." I seemed to have ranted. Her cheeks softly turned a cotton candy rose, as she hid underneath her honey brown hair.

" You are still shy as ever." I teased as I stuck out my hand a caressed her cheeks, after the shy woman before me, came from hiding behind her hair, I quickly planted a kiss on her lips, causing her to be a bit taken aback, but even so, she wasn't slow to return the favor.

We became so lost in one another's eyes so much so that the turning of the door knob, wasn't heard, only the low-tone clearing of a throat. Ae-Ra quickly turned around and backed away from me at the sight of my father.

" You are his practically his wife to be, why hide, Ae-Ra " he laughed. Ae-Ra chuckled, and as she pressed one hand in the other, whispered " Ye father-in-law." She gave an innocent smile causing my father to return the same smile with a soft nod of approval.

" Now, Hae-Ju how has the work come along?" He then asked me while he took steps to my desk before anything could be said he had already flipped through pages in the files that sat at on the top of my desk.

" Ah, you must really want to impress your fiance, look at all this month's work done.

" Father-" I managed to say tried to interrupt but rather than stop to hear what I had to say he continued.

" At this rate, you being named as my successor would be a choice understood by many. With that matter at hand, I can gladly say, we can probably check out your mother from the hospital once that is all set and stone, rather than watch you like a child I can take care of your mother, outside those hospital walls.' My father said. At the mention of my mother, I no longer wanted to correct my father, countless times he had said that my promotion to fill his place would be the result of my mother returning home, but only now I understood why he had said that so often.

When I was about ten years old, I was doing as many kids my age did, playing around in my backyard, with the neighborhood children. We went about as mad men pretending to be planes and fishermen things as such. Only for it all to come to a halt by a phone call my father received. He then asked all the kids to go home, promised me that he would return as soon as he could, only for him to come back two days later.

For two weeks it was that way, he went back and forth between work and aid to my mother. eventually, by word of the maids speaking among one another, I heard them say that my mother was in the hospital. I assumed it was just another one of her headaches; I knew how bad they had gotten but this time that wasn't the case.

By the third week, my mother came home, only to return to the hospital and transferred to the emergency watch station because she tried to kill herself. Since I was ten years old that has been how things worked, for 17 years my mother stayed in the mental health department, receiving limited visitation. It wasn't until that moment of affection my father displayed that made me understood why he was so hard on me about bettering myself. It was simply so that without me to worry about; he would be able to take my mother out of the hospital.