Remember

Hae-ju

" I don't know what kind of fucked up person your father is but if my sister finds out that our father's job might be suffering because of him, if she finds out that he's at the hospital because of one of your father's men chasing him down. She will burn this city down and you along with it. If you mean what you said I suggest you fix things quickly."

I listened as her brother lectured me after my apology.

" I really am sorry."

" I don't forgive you, I want to but I really don't. Why did it have to be you along with all your family baggage that my sister had to fall for? You broke the promise to — never mind I guess you were protecting her in some ways.." he sighed and ran his hand through his hair in annoyance.

" AGH! " he yelled in frustration. 

" I know I—."

" Do you? She was the daughter of wealthy investors. Two of the most successful self made African entrepreneurs. Yet her life was reduced down to being raised in a family significantly less well off than she would've been. She grew up sheltered, she grew up sometimes excluded by those that didn't know her well. Do you know? She had to deal with panic attacks frequently, she's gone through a lot and I don't like your family. Actually I hate your family and I hate that though you are a decent man, though she loves you? I really hate that you come with nothing but more stress, these are her twenties she should be enjoying them, not hiding from your father."

" I'm going to make sure that she actually enjoys them, I will do everything to protect her from my father."

" Just how are you going to do that?"

I received a text, as we were speaking and it was a notification from my aunt. " just a moment." I said taking it out.

" She's arrived, she's safe."  The text read.

Because I have been able to protect my mother and that was the main advantage that he had over me.

Her brother sighed and said: " just don't let anything happen to her. I'm not afraid of being injured if it means that your father will be nowhere near my sister, understand that."

I nodded.

" I respect that you took the step to apologize first. That's the only reason I'm even entertaining this conversation." I nodded my head and we walked back to his mother and Dalnim's as they waved goodbye and Dalnim's and I walked inside afterwards.

The day went by quickly as we opened up to one another and I was at a lost of how she even came to find out my family's association with her parents. Still she didn't fault me for it. It prevented any sense of awkwardness I would otherwise feel in trying to say anything. I opened up about my brother and she never faulted me. The day came to an end and as she slept I was kept up thinking about staying true to her brother's wishes. I also trusted that she was strong enough to make her own choice if I were to tell her about her father's current situation.

She looked so at peace while asleep that I didn't want to wake her too suddenly. My phone vibrated and it was a text from my mother " I know it's late there. I would've messaged you earlier but I was caught up in calls and checkups. Anyways I wanted to check on you. You promised that when I arrived you'd tell me the name of the young woman."