Chapter One

Oh, God, what am I going to do? Panic lanced through Rayanna Price's chest. Faced with no other option but to find another job, she felt hopeless-potentially making herself break out into a full-blown panic attack. To calm herself, she watched as a tiny daycare attendant wriggle the sandals onto her son's little feet. I won't let us starve or become homeless.

"Annie, you're early today. This little man had a cough this morning." Selma, head of Little Munchkins Daycare said as she exited her office. Huge black curls sprouted around her head like a cloud and big brown intelligent eyes stared at her from a smooth creamy brown face.

"Nothing but cough syrup did the trick." Selma smiled. Huge dimples denting her cheeks.

At the sound of her childhood nickname, tears stung the backs of her eyes. All she'd ever wanted growing up was a family of her own, yet now she couldn't even give her son a normal life.

Dread knotted her stomach. She didn't know how to respond. So she opted for a smile.

"Are you okay?" Selma asked.

"Yes, thank you."

"Are you sure? If you need to talk my office is always free."

Annie hesitated. She needed someone. A shoulder to cry on but she didn't want to burden Selma with her problems. The woman had over a dozen babies to take care of daily.

"He's ready. Hey, little man, your mama's waiting to take you home." The attendant tickled under her son's chin.

Thank God. The girl just saved her from replying to Selma's question.

Sighing, Annie took her one-year-old son, Reon from the attendant's arms and he let out a squeal of delight that drew a smile from her. "You missed me, huh, Buddy?" His little legs bounced about on either side of her hips and she held him a little tighter.

The girl handed her the diaper bag, and she secured it on her shoulder. "Thank you."

"Annie?" Selma called out.

Annie didn't dare look up for she feared the woman might see the vulnerability in her eyes.

"Yes, Selma?"

"I'm always here if you need to talk."

"Thanks," she whispered. "Bye."

"Take care, Precious child."

Annie knew if she didn't leave-fast she would run right into Selma's arms and bawl her eyes out.

Please give me strength. Inhaling a deep breath she walked away.

"It's just the two of us, little man." Annie didn't know what she would do since she'd lost her job only hours ago. The little coffee shop where she'd worked at for a year and a half as a waitress was closing down. Thanks to the owners moving to another country.

'Business was slow'-- according to them. Annie really loved her job. It was comfortable, and she got along with all the other workers.

Cheers, to new beginnings.

Things will get better, it might only take time, she reassured herself. Annie rubbed her cheek against Reon's soft curls. And remembered what her grandma used to say to her: when one door closes, another opens. You always remember that.

"Mama?" Reon's voice echoed in her mind.

"Yes, baby?" Since he'd learned to call her mama, he took every chance there is to call out for her. Hearing him say, mama, always did wonderful things to her already battered heart.