Twenty-Four - In Defense of Desperation

Start from the beginning

Jo breathed through her nostrils. "Monsters always look for a weak spot, even in the toughest of armor." And I was his weakness. The implication was there, even if neither of them wanted to say it out loud. "You know, you didn't have to bite Cas's head off for recruiting us. We wanted to help."

"Three out of four of you did, I'm sure."

"Okay, maybe that's more accurate." Jo shrugged. "Point is, Cas had nobody else to turn to. He found us, because we knew you and Sam. His back was against the wall, Dean. He was desperate."

"Desperate enough to pull you, Jessica, and Charlie from your pieces of peace."

"He didn't force us, we chose it. I think you're missing that point." Jo looked around the bland kitchen. "Seriously, have you ever thought of repainting? What about installing a game room? Darts, pool, air hockey. It could be a pretty sweet gig."

"You know that requires money, and you know the pay is crap."

Jo chuckled. She did know. Hunters did the dirtiest jobs sometimes, but the pay was always the same: almost nothing. They did the jobs people never dreamed of doing, mostly because they'd think monsters didn't exist. Oh, but they do. And if there were no monsters, there would be no hunters.

"Why are you two sulking around?" Jessica entered the kitchen, leaning in the entranceway. She was dressed in active wear, but Jo saw no sweat.

"We're not sulking," Jo said quickly. "Just catching up, making up for lost time."

"Uh-huh." The tall blonde eyed the two suspiciously. "I was gonna ask if you were up for a little training."

"You train?" Dean asked her.

"How else do you think I stood a chance in this mess?" Jessica beamed. "Jo taught me a few things, the rest I kind of learned on the job."

"So that means you know—"

"Dean, if I didn't know you and Sam hunt monsters, I obviously wouldn't be standing here having this conversation with you right now. So," she eyed the two expectantly, "who wants to train with me? I found a spare pair of batons. I could use someone to duel."

"Batons? When in the hell did we have batons?"

"I guess you guys never found the time to go through all your weapon inventory." Jessica shrugged. "Seriously, who's up for some training? It's no fun by myself."

"I'll go if Dean referees," said Jo.

"Oh, this is gonna end bad for you, Jessica," Dean told the tall blonde.

"We'll see."

Jessica waited for Jo and Dean before they all headed for an empty training room. Jessica had already set up the weapons, all they had to do was grab a pair each. Jo stayed at one end, Jessica at the other.

"Any rules to this?" Dean asked.

"Any game is fair game. Dirty plays are allowed. The big thing is nobody is supposed to kill the other."

"Fair enough."

Jessica went for Jo, Dean leaned against a cool wall to watch the two blondes in action. Though Jessica was taller, it didn't slow her down or make her movements quirky. Jo, unused to holding batons, fumbled a bit, making Jessica look good with her weapons. The longer Jo got a feel for the batons, the more she began to get comfortable.

And when Jo Harvelle got comfortable, that was when the real fun began.

The two looked like something out of a high-powered action movie. When one got hit, they shook off the pain and continued their attack. Both were relentless, despite their shortness of breath at times. When one would relax, the other would catch their breath.

"I need to get in on this sometime," Dean commented.

"Maybe some other time, it's our time now," said Jessica.

Dean put his hands out. "I'm not disputing. Continue."

Jo and Jessica continued to battle, their bodies throbbing from hits.

"Guys!" came Sam's shout, which stopped all training. Jo and Jessica stared at the younger, tall Winchester. "Meg, Charlie, and Cas came back. They, uh, they want to talk to us. All of us."

The four exchanged looks. Sam looked about as clueless as the rest did. Suspicious, Jessica and Jo shook hands, called the match a tie, and proceeded to leave the room.

The four navigated the bunker halls, until they came upon the library. Meg sat herself on top of a table, Charlie in a chair. Cas remained standing. They all looked mildly uncomfortable.

"I thought you said this required all of us?" asked Jessica. "We're a few people short."

"This doesn't really concern Jody and the girls," said Sam. "I'll give them the rundown later."

"What's this about, you guys?" Jo asked.

"Go ahead, it's your story," Charlie snapped to Meg and Cas. Jo's brows rose in surprise.

"We've got a problem, or rather, you folks do," Meg drawled. "See—"

"We went on a food run, an angel ran us off the road," Charlie cut in curtly. "She confronted us and said that," she pinched her nose, "that Heaven wants me back."

Jo cocked her head. "Say again?"

"Apparently, Cas jailbreaking us from Heaven was violation of Heaven Rules or Law or whatever."

"You can't be serious," Sam stammered.

"Oh, but she is," said Cas. "When I went to find Meg after the disaster at Jody's place, after I managed to free her, angels found us. What Charlie is saying is true; Heaven wants her, Jo, and Jessica back."

Jo couldn't believe what she was hearing.

"That's messed up," Dean commented. "They—they just got settled in."

"Doesn't matter," said Meg. "Heaven's like a prison missing a few escapees. They want them back nicely, or else they come for them and do this the difficult way."

Though the demon went into no details, Jo had a hunch as to what the "difficult way" entailed. "Well, then we'll do it the difficult way," Jo said sternly. "We didn't go through this mess with Bela Talbot only to be thrown back into Heaven."

"I wouldn't say that, G.I. Jane. These angels, they'll go as far as kill you to get you back. The one we encountered earlier considered killing Charlie."

"So this shoots down the idea that all angels are good," Jessica whispered. "They're—they're insane! Three souls out of Heaven can't mean that much to them!"

"Apparently it does, Malibu. So, sorry, gals, it looks like you've got warrants out for your arrest. Or maybe it's Wanted posters for your return to Heaven. Either way, the angels are coming for you."