Epilogue

*Persephone* 

I race to the pond as fast as I possibly can the moment I heard Hades was coming to see me. 

It had been quite a few months since I saw him last. It was longer than we had hoped it would be until we had the chance to see each other, but it will only make our reunion better. 

I reach the edge of the pond and peer to the other side, expecting to see him there, all dressed in black despite the hot sun, and looking as handsome as ever. The sun blinds me at first as I look for him with no luck. 

Perhaps, I'm early?

A voice from behind me interrupts me, making me jump in surprise. "Sephie..." 

I whip around, my heart rocking out of my chest. I barely have time to look at him before I bolt into his arms, kissing him like no tomorrow. "Oh, I can't believe you're here. You haven't forgotten about me? Your poor, pregnant wife?" I whimper, tears of joy drowning my face. 

"Never." He chokes. "How could I forget." He pulls me back away from me, finally getting a chance to take me in. Without speaking he kisses my forehand, his hands softly touching my belly, which had grown very decently since I saw him last, when I wasn't showing at all. 

"You've grown." He finally sputters out, clearly emotional. 

"How rude" I tease. "I know I'm humongous." 

"Shush, you know what I mean." He rocks me gently against him. "You're beautiful, and what you're doing for me is beautiful." 

"You mean living through hell for months on end?" 

He scoffs. "Yes, that exactly." 

We can do nothing else besides hold each other at the pond's edge, talking endlessly, and kissing endlessly. What else are we to do but that, and look forward to the future? 

I do get to return in the next few weeks, after all. I'll be able to make it home with a new baby in my arms to the husband of my dreams. What more is there to ask for? 

*Hades*

A few weeks later, Hermes barges into the Underworld, sweating excessively. 

"Is this what I think it is?" I stand immediately from my throne. I have been ready to leave at any moment for weeks. Ever since I had seen how heavily pregnant Persephone had become, basically. 

There was no way I wouldn't be there for her when the moment came. Not even if an attack was upon us, Cerberus was kidnapped all over again, or all the mortals in the world trampled in or out of the Underworld all at once. 

Hermes nods urgently, and we both leave at once. 

Today, I will be a father. 

*Persephone* 

The pain started early this morning, but I didn't want to call for Hades unless I was sure the baby was finally coming. Before long, it was a certainty. He's coming today, right damn soon. 

Mother had me propped up in my bed, holding my hand as the pain began to shake me in intervals. Contractions, she called it...I call it damn terrible, worse than living in Tartarus itself - though I know it can't be as bad as that, I really don't care about exaggerating right now. I have never felt such agony in my relatively easy-going life. 

I have never experienced battle, war, or endured any pain really. I may have been kidnapped, but that fear feels like nothing to me now, not when this happiness came from it. 

"It's horrible, mother." I sob, to which she nearly appeared sympathetic. 

"It's worth it dear..." She simply murmurs, patting my head with a damp cloth. "But perhaps, this will make you think twice of conceiving again any time soon, mhm?" 

I merely scoff but smile at her half-ass joke. "Yes, yes. I won't want to do this again soon. I will wait." 

"Good." She wipes my hair back from my face. "Your...husband will be here soon, and so will Zeus." 

I roll my eyes. She still believes the tale Zeus claimed, that he was the father, but if she knew me at all, she would know I would never be unfaithful to my husband. She can keep thinking it though, to help her sleep at night. 

Hades arrived first, bounding in straight off of his chariot and to my bedside. My mother was practically shoved out of the way. She huffed and left the room, leaving just the two of us. 

"Are you alright?" He murmurs, his voice coated with worry. 

"Never better, now that you've done this to me." I choke, gesturing down at myself. I let a small smirk show so that he recognizes that I'm merely joking. 

He softly smiles. "I'll be here the whole time, screw Zeus. He can wait outside. He's got plenty of time to be the father later." 

I frown sadly. "I'm still sorry that it must be this way. That we can't have him forever." 

"The Underworld isn't the place for him to grow up, alone, with no friends or family besides us. I want better for him too..." He kisses my hand, hiding his sadness, but I believe his words. Our child will have a good life in Olympus with Zeus. 

"We'll have another," I promise him. 

"Yes, eventually. I don't think I could watch you go through this again anytime soon." He replies worriedly. "And then, we'll raise him or her in the Underworld as the fates have destined them." 

I smile, quickly stopping as pain cuts off my next words. "Mother!" I scream, wishing for her comfort. She's the only woman present, after all. 

"Persephone." She comes back into the room, pushing Hades away. 

"I want it to stop." I whimper. 

"I know, honey. You're almost ready to push, and then it'll be all over before you know it." She holds my hand tightly in hers. "And you'll bring your child into the world just fine." 

Minutes later she tells me to push, which I do. Hades waits impatiently and anxiously, going from my bedside to pacing back and forth. 

Finally...Zagreus was brought into the world. 

I held him in my arms, with Hades gushing at my side. "Oh, he's gorgeous." I sob to myself, barely able to contain my tears of happiness. 

"That he is." Hades kisses my forehead. 

Demeter leaves us be for a few minutes before Zeus comes in to meet his adopted son. "Very strong boy, I can tell already." He simply says, slight pride in his voice. Before he leaves, he lets us know he will leave the child with me as long as the boy still relies on his mother, then thereafter Zagreus will live in Olympus with him, in a respectable position we'd never be able to give him. 

It will break my heart to give him up then, but you can count on us visiting him as often as we can, and Zeus accepts this. 

Hades will not be a hermit and stranger to all the Gods above no longer. Not when he has a son up there. Such a thought makes me smile, it will make me very glad to see him venture out of the depths of his Kingdom more often. 

Hades stays with me day and night, unable to leave my side until it was finally time for me to go back with him. 

*Hades*

*Two Years Later*

My little flower has parted with her first child, who now proudly sits in Olympus alongside his uncle. Though she is happy for his rise in the world, she craves another, and I can't blame her.

So, another is what she got. After begging and seducing me in more lovemaking above ground, that is.

Now, my Queen is staying with me in the Underworld this time as she carries our child. One that she already fondly refers to as Melinoe, the daughter she aches to have. 

And soon enough, that is just what we will have. 

****************************************************

Hope everyone enjoyed! Thank you to everyone who voted and commented! I may be doing some more mythology stories in the future!

*May or may not be doing some bonus chapters, especially if requested.