_spook

I just want to say thank you (like akdkdhdjfksahghgkgksh THANK YOU!!!) for all the votes  and comments my story has been receiving recently. I feel like I'm on cloud nine (>w<) You guys also managed to get this story onto Wattpad's Top 5 Rising stories for Mystery/Thriller(!) and push it past 600 reads. You guys are incredible QwQ Really.  

I hope you enjoy this especially long chapter because it's gonna be a long...ride ;)

Warning: Do not read this if you get easily...spooked.

"Wow, it's even better than last year!"

Violet stared at the poorly painted carnival attraction with dull, lifeless eyes. Plastic skeletons with flashing red lights for eyes and papier-mâché reapers peppered the hastily built building that fashioned the carnival's infamous "Haunted Home of Horrors". Guarding the entrance of the attraction were a pair of latex Frankenstein mannequins, both of which looked deader than the iconic creatures they were modeled from.

"You're gonna love it!" Jack said, his body abuzz with the energy of a child on a Halloween sugar binge. "You get to shoot at ghosts and monsters in a moving car and if you win enough points they'll let you ride again for free!"

"Oh," mumbled Violet as she gazed listlessly at the peeling paint of the building's mural, its bloody images of terror and torture looking more like tomato stains on a fifth grader's Halloween drawing.

Violet and Jack were at the tail end of a short line that lead to the attraction, its only source of screaming coming from the horror soundtrack that blared in the background on repeat.

"I'm so scared," Violet murmured as she checked her IOs again to see if better options were available. As usual, there were none.

"Oh, c'mon. It's on the inside that counts."

Violet suddenly felt fatigued. Is this what's it like to have children?

"Violet? Is that you?"

The girl in question didn't need to turn around to know who it was behind her.

"Giselle?" Violet and Jack turned around and found Giselle beaming up at them with a smile as lovely as the moon above the sea at night--and James.

"Oh, hey James. Didn't hear you there," Violet said. James apparently didn't hear Violet either as his face was turned away from the couple, his eyes training on nothing in the distance.

"Is he always like this?" Violet whispered to Giselle.

"You won't believe it."

The two girls broke out into some small talk as the two couples slowly ascended the line. With an amiable face, Violet made sure to appear engrossed in her conversation with Giselle, all the while observing the micro-interactions between the two CPs through her periphery.

There were times when James would look over to Jack with an expression that was scarier than any of the horrors that decorated the exterior of the ride. The intense blues of his eyes were searing with a heat that could melt the Sun and challenge the fires of Hell. It wasn't a face that could kill--it would kill.

From the way she was positioned, Violet couldn't turn around to see Jack's face as she was still "talking" to Giselle about their recent History paper; however, she could sense Jack returning James' singeing glare without a word.

Dying from her curiosity, Violet nearly turned around before she heard mumbles and grievances erupting behind Giselle and James.

"Our friends saved us a spot so stop bitching," said a voice that was as smooth as a snake gliding through sand.